The inn is on the National Register of Historic Places. The inn has also been in business for 68 consecutive years.
The Tower Suite
At A Glance
- 14 guest rooms, all en-suite baths (cottages, inn rooms, carriage house and tower suites)
- The total overall square footage is 14,356 of gross building area; the mansion itself is an impressive 11,728 square feet!
- 4.5 acres in the central business district, located on a quiet non thoroughfare street. There's plenty of room for events!
- Incredible original woodwork (mahogany, cherry, oak), leaded glass and original light fixtures throughout this grande dame
- Several sets of original hardwood pocket doors
- Immaculately maintained and updated over the years
- Spacious commercial kitchen. The inn has offered dinners in the past, but the owners decided to slow down and enjoy a bit more time as innkeepers. It could easily be started back up with new owners as there isn't much medium-to-fine dining in the area.
- Onsite, spacious staff quarters
- Open year round (inn rooms) but the 6 cottages are fully winterized (and on foundations) and could remain open all year.
- Private third floor owner's suite with 2 bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths, new kitchenette, office/storage, a very comfortable and private space.
Full financial detail provided with signed non-disclosure agreement for qualified buyer. Financially viable property.
Rooms in the Mansion
Carriage House Rooms
- Built in 1895 for a prominent lumber baron
- Overall 14,356 square feet of Gross Building Area (GBA)
- full unfinished basement with ice machine, wine cellar, office, laundry room, mechanical rooms and plenty of space for open storage. This space could be finished for living space (full height ceiling).
- lot size: 4.5 acres, well landscaped, wooded and spacious for events
- 14 guest rooms, 14 en-suite baths (6 cottages, Tower Suite, 2 carriage house suites, 5 inn rooms) with another cottage being built in 2017
- Buyers have an option to run a 45 seat restaurant with service bar and 2 restrooms for dining guests; large commercial kitchen
- owner’s quarters: very comfortable and private 3rd floor space with 2 bedrooms, full bath plus half bath, walk-in closets, new kitchenette, storage.
- additional private work space for owners in the large garage of the Tower Suite building
- staff quarters with 1 1⁄2 baths and chef quarters with 1 bath
- Lovely wrap porch overlooking the town with a view of the lake and mountains
- paved semi-circular driveway and parking lot at main inn, gravel parking lot for upper cottages – total parking for 20+ cars
- flooring: hardwood, vinyl, tile, carpet
- Real Estate Taxes: $12,790 (2017)
- Owner: Mountain Vista LLC (Terry and Jeff Johannemann)
- Legal Description: Book 1479, Page 179 in Piscataquis County Registry of Deeds
- Deed: Quitclaim with Covenant
- Land: 4.5 acres
- Zoning: Village
- Designated use: Bed and Breakfast with Restaurant
- Construction: Wood frame
- Roof: Composition shingle
- Exterior: Wood shingle, wood clapboard siding
- Windows: Some thermal pane replacement, some original w/storms
- HVAC: oil fired, hot water, baseboard, multi-zoned off heating system
- Gas: Bottled
- TV/Internet: TV in all rooms; wireless throughout
- Water/Sewer: Public
Market Analysis, Location, Access & Visibility
Greenville Inn sits near the top of a no-through residential street. So it’s quiet and sits high enough to see the lake, particularly from 2nd floor rooms. The mountain views and sunsets are just beautiful. But the nice thing about this inn is that guests can walk down the street and be right in town and leave their car at the inn. There are tours on the lake on the S.S. Katahdin or high above on a sea plane.
In real estate, the three most important things are location, location, location. It is no different with a Bed and Breakfast/ Country Inn. While some believe (and a very few have made it so) that you can “build it and they will come,” the reality remains that guest occupancy is driven in large measure by location combined with a quality facility that is well marketed by gracious hosts offering arewarding and memorable guest experience. A location is what it is and cannot be changed by aproperty owner, though involved business owners can participate in making their communities better, thereby improving the quality of a location over time.
Nestled among scenic mountain ranges, Moosehead Lake in Maine is the largest lake east of the Mississippi contained within one state. Moosehead Lake's island studded waters stretch as far as the eyecan see and are surrounded by vast forested wilderness. Moosehead Lake is the destination for eco-tourists, nature lovers, and those seeking a refuge from the bustle and stress of their busy lives. Thepristine waters draw those wishing to explore nature. Tourists can experience the wonders of the Moosehead Lake Region by kayak or canoe; go fly fishing; relax on a scenic cruise on the historic steamship Katahdin; or feel the adrenaline rush of shooting the rapids on our world class white waterrafting rivers.
Greenville is situated 180 miles from Kennebunkport; 150 miles from Portland; 125 miles from Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park; 100 miles from Camden; 70 miles from Bangor; 45 miles from Baxter State Park; and 158 miles from Quebec. It’s situated amongst year round activities and national and state parks, from spring to fall on the lake, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, swimming, hiking, biking and hunting to ice fishing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, downhill skiing and cross country skiing. It’s an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise!
It is interesting to note that within 250 miles there is a population of approximately 7 million people,and within 150 miles there are about 1.3 million people to tap into as potential guests. This is a truly significant number when you think of the number of guests who prefer to drive to their vacation destinations.