The Houses of Parliament Graduate Scheme YOUr chance to make a difference at the heart of democracy

For anyone interested in politics, current affairs and public policy, there's no opportunity quite like working in Parliament. With the Houses of Parliament Graduate Scheme, that opportunity is now yours.

The House of Parliament Graduate Scheme offers a four year programme designed to prepare you for a career in Parliament. It will help you to develop a range of different skills and bring you into the heart of the UK's democracy, all while remaining independent of party politics. Successful applicants are placed in one of the two Houses: Lords or Commons.

A taste of life in Westminster

What will I be doing?

On the Houses of Parliament Graduate Scheme, you'll work directly with MPs or Lords on a day to day basis. The Scheme will give you the chance to be involved in everything from researching and writing reports for powerful select committees to supporting work in the Chamber of the House of Commons or the House of Lords – for example, advising on amendments to legislation or Questions tabled on Government policy. If you join us, you'll be able to witness first-hand the democratic processes and political events that shape the future of our nation.

What does the Graduate Scheme look like?

The Graduate Scheme lasts an average of four years, and in that time you will perform different roles. In the Lords postings generally last for at least two years, while in the Commons you will usually move role each year. This is likely to include working with pioneering select committees in the House of Commons or House of Lords. In the House of Commons you might join areas such as the Parliamentary Outreach and Engagement team, which carries out the vital work of bringing Parliament and the public closer together. It could mean that you spend some time the House of Commons' corporate teams, such as Finance and Audit, or help to secure the future of our UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Palace of Westminster, with the Strategic Estates team. In the Lords you are likely to be given line management responsibility, together with appropriate support and training for this important role, from an early stage in your career. And we're only just getting started.

Where will the Graduate Scheme take me?

The Houses of Parliament Graduate Scheme prepares you for a variety of different careers in Parliament. Once you have completed the Scheme, you'll be eligible for promotion to a role equivalent to the Senior Clerk level with a starting salary of c. £49,500pa. Following promotion you will be put in longer term Chamber or Committee roles, but you can also follow other paths in any area of the Service by applying for specific roles.

The Scheme will prepare you for all of this and more.

What do I need to apply?

To be eligible for the Houses of Parliament Graduate Scheme, you must have an honours degree from any university. You must be able to demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills, and you must be capable of providing politically impartial advice. Similarly, you must also be able to research and organise material from a range of sources, and use it to develop well argued, evidence-based conclusions using good judgement. And of course, as someone who will become part of the a modern and dynamic Parliament, you must be able to get on with people from diverse backgrounds, and possess the skills to build and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of people.

Where can I find out more and apply?

If this hasn't excited you enough, you can find out more about the Graduate Scheme by visiting http://www.parliament.uk/about/working/jobs/faststream/

Applications for our 2018 entrants will open in November 2017 (and a link to the online application will be on the webpage mentioned above).

But don't just take our word for it - hear from some current and former Houses of Parliament Graduates . . .



Created with images by ** Maurice ** - "The British Parliament and Big Ben"

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.