5. Questions 1-12 from the end of Chapter 9
1. He retained the nickname the Good Pope John because he used to crack jokes and visit prisoners and hospital patients.
2. He created a synod for Rome, drafted a new code of canon law and called an ecumenical council.
3. He believed that the church was in a grave state of spiritual poverty.
4. It lasted for about 3 years and it took place at St.Peters Basilica.
5) Lumen Gentium uses terms like the Body of Christ, and People of God to define the church as one community. It coalesces the church into one body.
6) Dei Verbum- "the word of God." Divine inspiration and revelation can be used along with sacred scripture and tradition. It opened up the church to new teachings.
7) Sacrosanctum concilium- Mass is not a spectator event. You have to be involved. Opened up mass in vernacular languages, instead of just Latin.
8) Gaudium et spes discussed the human spirit, and the reasons for human sadness. It also discussed contemporary atheism. It was a response to Pope Bl. John's desires for a more involved church.
9. Bl. Paul VI was the Pope when Vatican II came to an end.
10. They reversed the excommunication that they implemented upon each other.
11. He made sure to improve national relations, he issued new commissions, created new documents and structures. He also issued the New Order of the Mass.
12. It emphasized that the use of any form of artificial contraception is a sin.