In this lesson, you will be exploring the different aspects and history of the Pythagorean Theorem. You will embark on this adventure with only a few valuable resources to lead you to the treasure of knowledge.
*CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.8.G.B.7-Apply the Pythagorean Theorem to determine unknown side lengths in right triangles in real-world and mathematical problems in two and three dimensions.*
You will embark on a journey that will be talked about for centuries. Years ago, the treasure of knowledge was buried on the Oasis Enclave. It is your destiny to travel the dangerous seas. First, you will start here, on The Sleeping Isle. I will provide you with supplies; however, your ship cannot hold enough supplies to last you to the Oasis Enclave. You must stop first at The Dead Key, and then at The Treacherous Skerry. Only then can you reach the Oasis Enclave to claim your rightful treasure.
Use this map to help you on your journey.
You must keep a detailed log of your travels. You must calculate the shortest and fastest route as well as how long your journey takes if your ship sails at the average rate of 10 miles an hour. Be sure to include a finished map at the end of your travels, as well.
You will navigate your way through the sources given in order to find the route that leads you to the treasure of knowledge the quickest. By using the Pythagorean Theorem, you will be able to find shortcuts to beat other marauders to the treasure. Good luck.
Now you need to use these resources
- Here is a brief history of the Pythagorean Theorem and its creator, Pythagoras. This is a great introduction to the Pythagorean Theorem!
- Here is another way to prove the Pythagorean Theorem:
- Here is a video for you to watch that shows you how to solve for sides using the Pythagorean Theorem:
- Visit this website to walk through more examples of using the Pythagorean Theorem. Please work through the problems while you are reading. Click the button below.
- The Pythagorean Theorem has triangles that are considered perfect, such as 3, 4, and 5. This article gives you a large list of Pythagorean Triples. Click the button below.
Follow this rubric to understand my expectations.
Now that you have found the treasure of knowledge, you can go forth and apply the Pythagorean Theorem in your everyday life!
Here are some additional resources: