Literacy Impact Approach
Through our awareness initiatives and fundraising efforts, we bring valuable awareness and critical financial support to our literacy partners. The following approaches represent our portfolio of literacy investments:
- Materials - Books and digital readers are key in teaching literacy skills. Unfortunately, materials are scarce in areas that struggle with literacy. We help provide the materials so kids can learn.
- Embedded Literacy Programs - Embedded programs exist within many schools, libraries and other institutions. These programs provide children with the extra attention they require to become better readers.
- Summer Literacy Initiatives - Reading over the summer is crucial to literacy growth. Summer intervention programs ensure that children who need to continue reading during the summer are doing exactly that.
Reading by third grade is the most important predictor of high school graduation and career success. Thus, our efforts focus on improving reading levels among students before they reach fourth grade.
We currently partner with 20+ literacy programs represented by the following organizations: members of the Campaign For Grade-Level Reading, public schools and literacy programs supported by our athletic team partners.
Literacy programs must have the following qualifications:
- Grade Level - Serve children at or below the third grade level.
- Service Population - At least 80% of the students benefitting from funds must live at or below the poverty line (assessed by student population receiving federally assisted lunch through the National School Lunch Program).
- Proper Qualifications - Literacy partners must share the following documentation with Coaching for Literacy: IRS 501 (c)(3) Determination Letter (when applicable), 990 Form and high-level ratings from charity evaluators GuideStar and Charity Navigator.
Literacy program must complete the following if partnering or seeking to partner with Coaching for Literacy:
Coaching for Literacy is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with a Gold-Level Rating from GuideStar. We are a partner of the Campaign for Grade-Level Reading and a member of The Alliance for Nonprofit Excellence.
GuideStar (Left), The Alliance for Nonprofit Excellence (Center), The Campaign for Grade-Level Reading (Right).
"We are incredibly grateful for the continued support of Coaching for Literacy to support literacy efforts in our city." - Reggie Davis, Executive Director, STREETS (Memphis, TN)