THINGS TO WATCH:
- Maryville College returns just one starter from the 2017-18 squad in Libby Gardner (3). The junior guard was named a captain of this season's team, as Head Coach Darrin Travillian said her teammates know she's been in some of those key moments.
- Maryville averaged 69.2 points per game last season. However, with losing six seniors to graduation, the Scots return just 16.8 points per game from a year ago. Gardner had 6.3 of those per contest, as Elsa Eckenrod (24) and Kelley Wandell (45) had 118 and 114 points each last year.
- Emory & Henry College comes into the meeting ranked No. 23 in the D3hoops.com preseason poll, as the Wasps have a game already under their belt. E&H toppled No. 18 Marymount University on Friday night, 58-56. The Wasps saw a trio of players score double figures in that game, as Taylor Blevins (40) led the way with 15 points.
- MC will have to rely on the defense Travillian is known for, as Emory & Henry shot 46.9 percent (23-of-49) against Marymount. They also scored six treys at a 27.3 percent clip.
- Head Coach Darrin Travillian enters the 2018-19 season nearing a career milestone. Travillian - in his ninth season - has a career record of 180-47 (.792). The head coach is already Maryville College's All-Time Winningest Women's Basketball Coach, as he hopes to eclipse the 200-win plateau this season. In six seasons within the USA South, Travillian's squads have amassed a .891 winning percentage against league competition with an 82-10 mark.
“Emory and Henry is a well-coached, disciplined, top-25 program with all of the pieces great basketball teams possess: defense, interior size, solid perimeter play, and an understanding of what it takes to win close games. We know this is a tremendous challenge for our young squad, but we’ve always measured ourselves by playing the best, so this will be the type of challenge that will make us take stock of where we are at this point in the season.”