This program prepares students to assist physicians by performing functions related to both business administration and clinical duties in a medical office. The business aspect of instruction covers insurance, bookkeeping, medical terminology, and general office management.
Clinical study includes providing physician assistance during patient examinations, treatment, administration and monitoring. Students learn to keep patient and related health record information and to perform clinical, administrative and laboratory duties.
A 160-hour externship is required for completion of this course. Students must have good social skills, good attendance, and the ability to get themselves to their clinical experiences. Students must obtain the series of three immunizations for hepatitis. This course serves as an introduction to a variety of health related fields.
Important Information about Medical Assisting:
• Externships - 160 hours are required as part of the 4th quarter and will extend beyond regular school hours
• 11th grade reading, writing and math level to be successful
• No early-graduation participants
• Students must provide own transportation to externships
• 2.5 GPA; 2.5 CPA required
• Prerequisite or Co-requisite - Medical Terminology
• Recommended - Medical Anatomy & Physiology (MAP)