Performance Report, 2016-17
- 89% of the students served in 2016-2017 returned for the 2017 year or graduated
- 97% of the students returned for the 2017 academic year in Good Academic Standing
- 60% of the students who entered in 2011 have graduated
- 80% of the students served in 2016-2017 were from Low income/First Generation backgrounds
Fall 2017 Academic Stats
- 96% of our students finished in Good Academic Standing (cumulative GPA > 2.0)
- 85% finished with a GPA of 2.5 or better
- 54% finished with a GPA of 3.0 or better
- 43 SSS students made the Dean's List
- 17 SSS students made the Chancellor's List
- 42% of our students were from ethnically diverse backgrounds
- 90% finished in Good Academic Standing
- 52% finished with a GPA of 3.0 or better
- 48 first-year students spent over 1,000 hours in Mentoring, APP Hour, UCO Study Group, or individual writing instruction over the Fall semester
Since 2011, 48 SSS students have participated in study abroad courses and 6 more plan to study abroad this summer! The countries that our students have traveled to include Japan, Australia, China, England, Africa, Costa Rica, Mexico, Spain, Ecuador, Belize, India, France, Italy, Germany, and Argentina.
We are proud of our SSS graduates! Representing nearly all colleges on campus we had 7 graduates in December 2017 and are expecting 29 graduates in May and August 2018.
Of these 36 graduates, 13 are continuing their education by pursuing graduate degrees, many already have jobs or internships lined up, one graduate is entering the military, and one will be working with Teach for America.
2018 College of Health Sciences Commencement Speaker
I will be receiving my undergraduate degree in Exercise Science and a minor in Chemistry this upcoming May. I plan to attain my medical degree in the near future, but in the meantime I will be committing my time to Teach for America, teaching high school science in eastern North Carolina.
SSS has truly been a blessing in my life. I am a first generation college student and honestly Appalachian State University was not the destination that I intended on landing. Unconventionally, I didn’t get into the SSS program until my sophomore year because I did not know it was an available resource to students like myself, but it has truly been a blessing. My cultural experiences have been enriched because I have been able to attend cultural and diverse events on campus through SSS funding. The support that I have received from my counselor, currently Mady Fitzgerald and previously Janet Beck, as well as other counselors have been amazing and assuring in pursuing this dream that I have. Most importantly I believe Student Support Services' cause and mission is truly important in helping students like myself navigate college and realize their full potential.