Welcome Back, Falcons!
Happy New Year, and welcome to the start of Term 2! I am excited to see you all again tomorrow! A few important things to note:
1. Schedules are available through PowerSchool. Please take a look today to be ready and know where you need to be & when for Monday. This is a maroon week and a Flex week as well.
2. Add/drops should be accomplished through your Focus Group teachers, as always. Please know that we will try our best to accommodate.
3. We will be selling pizza Wednesday. It is still $2.00 per slice, not price breaks or decrease if it does not sell. It will still be supplied by Klavon's.
4. It is COLD outside! Please dress appropriately with a coat, hat, mittens and proper footwear to walk in between buildings. Boots can be left on the JPEC rug in the common area. We are working on getting coat hooks as the lockers are small. Please use the crosswalks and sidewalks, and utilize the steps instead of slipping and falling down the hill.
5. Your teachers will go over expectations and remind you of rules this week. A couple things I want to reiterate to students and parents: CELL PHONES ARE TO STAY IN STUDENT'S LOCKERS AND NOT GO INTO CLASSROOMS. CELL PHONES ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN TO THE OTHER BUILDING FOR CLASS EITHER. Phones are once again becoming an issue. Please remind students that phones can, and will, be taken by any faculty member if expectations are not followed. TARDIES have become an issue as well. There's no reason for this in our small building. Moving forward, students with excessive tardies will be subject to disciplinary action to be determined by teachers and administration. DRESS CODE needs to be followed, especially in terms of sweatshirts and sweaters. Hoodies are not to be worn ever, unless it is Friday and it is a JPEC hoodie. Pull over sweatshirts must be plain black, maroon, grey or white. LUNCH is inside every day due to weather. Students need to be conscious of their food and trash. Cleaning up after yourself is an expectation, as well as just common courtesy.
Christmas Caroling Fieldtrip
Just priot to the holiday break, Mrs. Sager took her Kindness Committee, with the help of some wonderful parent volunteers, to sing Christmas Carols at the HF Oncology Department. What a wonderful way to bring joy and cheer to patients undergoing cancer treatment. We are so proud of our young Falcons for giving of their time and talents to help others.
WANTED: A FEW GOOD VOLUNTEERS!
We would like to get Popcorn Friday Fundraiser started for our College Prep Falcons. We need a few parents to volunteer each week to help pop, bag and distribute the corn. To be corny about it... we need a Popcorn "Kernal" to take the reigns. All funds raised go towards College Prep experiences like the YMCA Camp and DC trip. Please reach out to our JPAC Vice President, Angie Guadagnini, at email@example.com if you're interested.
Contact Information Updates
Is your family moving? Do you have a new phone number or email address? Is someone else going to be picking your child up from school? These are common changes that occur, but we often forget to keep the school updated when they do! Please take a moment to verify your contact information in PowerSchool, and let the office know if anything needs to be updated. We'd be happy to help!
Please Dress for the Weather!
With the weather changing, sometimes by the minute, it is important that students come to school prepared. Many walk over to Justin Whiting Hall or the Fieldhouse for class, and it has been raining and snowing a lot lately. A warm jacket, boots, hats and mittens would be very beneficial for students to have on hand daily. Please consider sending these items with your student. It would be a great idea to mark your students items with their name and phone number, in case they get lost. Thank you!
Need help working things out with another peer? Attend any meeting during Flex Block -EIC Rm. 104 (Mrs. Sager) and we will help! Congrats to our officers: L to R: Kyah Neville (Co-Pres), Sameer Ahmad (Treas), Jaysianne Albert (Co-Pres), Noah Blondke (Sec), & Kendra Strawser (VP):
Turkey Bowl Reboot: The Parent Advisory Committee is working on a family-friendly event during Term 2 to have the opportunity to come together as a community and raise funds to support the 6th grade trip to the YMCA Storer Camp. Stayed tuned to future NftPs for dates, times, and details.
Upcoming Community Engagement Events
Winter Community Forum- Monday, February 10, 2020 from 6:15 - 7:45 pm
School Day/Office Hours/Phone Number
Please note that the school day hours have changed slightly. We still begin at 9:00 a.m., but our day concludes at 3:55 p.m. this year instead of 4:30 p.m. The office will be open daily at 7:30 a.m. and close at 5:00 p.m. Please be sure to have students picked up prior to the office closing. The new number to the EIC is (517)760-JPEC.
Please ensure students are bringing healthy choices in their lunches daily. We have noticed that many students are bringing items like candy and bottles/cans of soda pop, which are full of sugar and caffeine, and tend to have an adverse effect on the learning atmosphere in the classroom during the afternoon. Please consider sending water, or flavored water in place of soda. Not only will it be beneficial for the students, it will cut down on stains and ants that result from spills. Thank you so much for your consideration!
Lost & Found
Please have your student check the table in the entryway for items they have misplaced. Items are really starting to stack up! Things that go unclaimed for a significant amount of time will be donated. Thank you!
Dress Code for 2019-2020
Cell Phones In Class
Just a reminder to all CP students and families: cell phones are not permitted in class. You may check your phones during recess or at lunch, but they must remain off or on silent and in lockers during class time.
Parents: Please be sure to call the front office as soon as possible in the morning if your child is ill and is going to be absent. It is important for us to be able to keep accurate attendance records, and this will help! The office phone # is 760-JPEC. If your student is absent due to a medical or dental appointment, please bring a doctor's note so we can excuse the absence. Thank you!
CP1 YMCA Camp Information
Each year, JPEC sends all CP1 students to the YMCA Camp. It's a great opportunity for our young Falcons to learn, explore and bond as a team. The camp isn't until March, 2020, but below you will find helpful information to keep you informed. Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Washington DC Trip, 2021
Please click the link below to access information about the Washington DC trip that will be taking place in the 2020-2021 school year. Questions should be directed to email@example.com
Dangers of Vaping
Vaping has been on the rise among young people, made popular and appealing by the tobacco industry with targeted ads, flavored vapes, and the false communication that it is harmless. Truth be told, vaping is anything but harmless, we just don't have enough experience or scientific study behind it to know its long-term effects. Please watch the attached video and share this information with your families.