This week you will explore the mixed economy of leisure. This is made up of four sectors:
- Not-for-profit (or voluntary)
In The Business of Leisure we will focus on the first three. This module forms the basis of a component of the first workshop day in week 4 and also your final assessment task for this subject. No need to think too far ahead by importance of this module but understanding that there are sectors within the mixed economy will assist with these activities.
The support chapter of your text for this week is Chapter 5: Providers in the Mixed Economy of Leisure. This chapter is an essential read to support your learning in this area. Please take time to either read this now or at the end of this module.
Mixed Economy of Leisure
This week’s primary video [13:43 mins] introduces the concept of the mixed economy through the lens of ‘Leisure Service Providers’.
Within the above lecture is an invitation to participate in Discussions 1, 2 and 3 for Week 3.
• What sectors of the industry provide your leisure experiences?
• Which sectors are most important for your leisure satisfaction?
• What are some leisure experiences you would like to pursue?
• What leisure service sector is the provider?