The Lake House July, 2012

And we were underway! My family and I were driving to Lake Winnipesaukee for our annual trip to the lake house my family rents every year. It was about a 3 hour drive to get to the house, so I put my earbuds in, and slept. I slept through almost 2 hours of the trip, with only one more hour to wait. Finally after the hour passed, we were there. We were welcomed by my Grandma and Grandpa in the driveway.

The first thing I wanted to do was hit the lake, but my parents denied my request. They said I had to help unpack the car first. Soon after all my aunts, uncles, and cousins got there too. There was two things I was yearning to do. I wanted to try Water Skiing and I wanted to go paddle boarding again. Just like every other year, my grandparents brought their boat, and this year I was old enough to drive it! Once the car was unpacked and we could finally go out into the water. That night we all sat near the warm fire and roasted Marshmallows. Even though it wasn’t a particularly cold night it was still a tradition we have as a family at the lake house. Soon after everyone went inside to get some rest for the next day which would be action packed.

Before I knew it I was awake, and it was the next day. Today was the day that I would be at the lake all day. Later on in the day when everyone was awake and ready for the day, we went out for some fun on the lake. Once everyone was ready to go on the boat, we set off.

Just a little while into the ride, someone suggested water skiing. At the time I had never went, but I was super eager too. I volunteered to go first, and they let me. I jumped into the water and put on the skis. They threw the lead to me and I clinched it so tight, I thought it was going to snap. I showed a thumbs up which meant I was ready to go. I told them to start of slow so they did. At first it was a little bit intimidating, but I quickly got the hang of it. I learned how to go over waves and turn too. Because I was doing so well, everyone suggested that they should make it a little harder and pick up speed. So they did. They picked up a lot of speed, and it was too fast for me to handle, so my skis hit a ripple in the water and I flew. When I was in the air it felt like everything was in slow motion. As I approached the water all I could do was pray. I prayed that the impact wouldn’t hurt, but before I knew it, I was in the water. I couldn’t feel the whole right side of my body.

My arm was sore for the whole rest of the trip, but I did go water skiing again that trip. Ever since that day I have never trusted my grandpa as much as I did before that accident. Sadly the trip was over before I knew it and it was time to go home. We said goodbye to everyone, and started our trip back home. It was around 10:00 so I ended up falling asleep without even knowing it. I woke up and we were home, but I will never forget that one trip to the lake house.

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.