The Nidikumwami's Bururi, Burundi

Facts: The family has a locker lock on their door. Unlike others which usually have a normal door lock. The mother and children spend 14 hours a week walking to the stream to get water. The family's dream is to someday find and buy a better house.

Home: They have a 3-bedroom home that they built themselves. There washroom is outside and they don't have electricity. They don't have a couch they have a bench that is outside. The family's roof is made out of straw. The Nidikumwamis most valued item is the bed.

Health: The family has a very small amount of medicine. They have a low income and can not afford medicine. They family also has very poor dentil health. They can't afford toothbrushs or toothpaste. The family only uses toothpicks. Burundi is one of the most poorest and hungriest countries. Almost 245,000 Burundians fled the country in the past 10 months.

Food: The family grows 95% of their food. The other 5% is food that the family has to buy and can't grow with most of there monthly income. The family cooks over wood. The mother and children spend 21 hours a week collecting wood.

Life Expectancy: In Burundi the life expectancy ranges from about 53-63 years. The mother in the Nidikumwami family is 30 and the father is 43. That only gives the family about 10-30 years to live.

Acsess to Essentials: They do not have easy acsess to hospitals, schools or any buildings like that. From where the Nidikumwamis live they are quite far. If the kids go to school they have to walk a long way.

Job/Income: The mother and father are both farmers. They usually work on their own land, but once in a while they will work on other people's land. This family makes $40 a month.

Toys: The family does not have real toys. The children use things like sticks and discarded objects in and outside the home as toys.

Family: The Nidikumwami family is a family of 8. There is a mother a father and 6 children.

Education: in Burundi they have lower education, middle education, and higher education. General levels of education are low. The countries literacy rate is approximately 60%. The education in Burundi is getting better though. The government is making it mandatory for kids to go to school. They also have free education and support from the government.

Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.