- Everyone break into your groups
- Each group will be assigned a notecard with a different “Era” (Tribal, Literate, Print, Electronic, or Digital)
- You will have 10 minutes to collect as much information on the current Syrian Civil War as possible
- You MUST only use media available to you in your assigned “Era"
- Tribal--no resources, use your brain!
- Literate--provided political cartoons
- Print--provided article
- Electronic--provided video
- Digital--anything and everything!
Media Ecology Theory
Media Ecology Theory--Asumptions
- Media infuse nearly every act and action in society, hard to avoid
- Media fix our perceptions and organize our experiences, what you watch
- Media tie our world together, global village
- Tribal = Face-to-face/Hearing
- Literate = Written Communication
- Print = Information through print
- Electronic = Electronic communication
- Digital = Social media
Agenda Setting Theory
The power and influence of media sources to decide what is important or unimportant based on the frequency they show the story or emphasis certain features of said story.
- The media establish an agenda and in doing so are not simply reflecting reality, but are shaping and filtering reality for the public
- The media’s concentration on the issues that comprise their agenda influence the public’s agenda, and these together influence the policymakers’ agenda.
- The public and policymakers have the possibility to influence the media’s agenda as well.