"Fifty-Four-Forty or Fight"
- Democrats used the slogan, "fifty-four forty or fight" referring to the line of latitude they believed should be the nation's northern border in Oregon.
- Polk won the election because Whig support was not united behind Clay.
- They two countries compromised and made the border at 49 degrees north latitude.
How did Polk's views differ from Clay's in the 1844 election?
Henry Clay did not have a strong position on the matter at hand. He did not work as hard as Polk did. They both worked for what they wanted, but Polk had a stronger opinion and more voters to agree with him.
Statehood for Florida and Texas
How did Florida Become a State?
Florida became a state on July 17, 1821. More people had been coming into Florida because they had fertile land. The people who had come to Florida had ruined their soil and were in search for new land to plant their crops.
- Under the terms of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787, Florida had an appointed territorial governor, a territorial legislature, and a nonvoting delegate to the United States Congress.
- Later, as news of the area's fertile land spread, thousands of new settlers streamed into Florida.
- Here, the planters established cotton and tobacco plantations, especially in Northern Florida and the narrow strip in the northwest called the Panhandle.
The Territory Grows
- Enslaved people made up about one-half of Florida's population.
- Congress had to wait until another territory was ready to become a free state.