What's this virtual summer camp all about?
Civic Heroes is designed for upper elementary students who have a knack for serving their neighbors, learning how to tackle community challenges or are just looking for something fun to do this summer!
- Students entering grades 4th - 6th sign up here to participate. (Registration must be completed by parent/guardian.)
- Campers will meet online twice weekly June 22nd - July 9th to share and learn with staff from the Office of Civic Engagement.
- In between sessions, campers will be assigned challenges and activities aka "missions" to complete on their own time.
- Each participant will receive their very own HERO pack containing all materials for activities.
- This virtual summer experience is made FREE for campers because of our partnership with the David Mathews Center for Civic Life.
- The deadline to register is June 12th if you need your HERO pack mailed, and June 16th if you are local to Troy, AL and would like to pick it up.
What is needed to participate?
- Computer or tablet - You will need a device capable of video web-conferencing. A smart phone may also be used, but could result in a more limited experience.
- Internet connection - You will need to ensure you have reliable internet to participate in camp sessions.
- Parent / guardian permission & email - A parent or legal guardian must complete camper's registration and provide an email address to be used for communication during the camp.
- HERO pack - Each camper will receive a HERO pack containing all the materials needed to participate in camp activities. Campers local to Troy, AL may opt to pick up their HERO pack, or we can mail it to your residence.
I've still got some questions ...
- Does it cost anything to participate? No, participating in the camp is free.
- How does Civic Heroes work? Camp will take place twice a week (Monday and Thursday) for 3 weeks. During the 6 days of camp, campers will participate in virtual learning with the assistance of a physical resource kit that will be used throughout the duration of the program. Each camp day will include a live 45-minute virtual session and offline activities and challenges to be completed throughout the week.
- Is there a minimum age requirement? Participants will need to be entering into the 4th - 6th grades starting in the Fall of 2020.
- What is my child going to learn? Camp is focused on providing a creative environment to help youth learn about civic participation.
- Does my child have to be on the video? Yes. To get the most out of the instruction, we ask that students utilize the video function and stay on camera during the entire session.
- Is the camp completely virtual? Yes. All camp sessions will be conducted virtually. However, campers will receive resources to participate in home-based activities outside of our camp sessions.
- What is your Cancellation Policy? In our efforts to allow the maximum number of campers to participate, we ask that you cancel 1 week in advance.
- Can siblings or friends participate in the camp together? Yes, in fact, we encourage students to attend with a buddy! We do ask that you complete a registration form for each child. In addition, space is limited and while we will do our best to ensure they are in the same session, we cannot guarantee it. Please register campers at the same time for the best chance of being in the same session.
- When is the last day to sign up? The deadline to register is June 12th if you need your HERO pack mailed, and June 16th if you are local to Troy, AL and would like to pick it up.
- Who will be the instructor? The instructors for camp will be trained staff of the Office of Civic Engagement. Please see the "Meet the Team" section above on this webpage.
- What digital platform will be used for the camp? Campers will meet in Zoom and all camp information will be housed in Google Classroom.
- Where is the link to the camp? Campers will receive links and detailed instructions in an email on June 18th, the Thursday before camp begins.
- When should I log on for camp? To allow enough time for any necessary troubleshooting, we recommend logging on 15 minutes before the start of the first camp session.
- When will my HERO pack arrive? You can expect for your kit to arrive 3 days to 1 week prior to the start of camp.
- Do campers need to do any prep work before camp? While there is no prep work needed before the start of camp, we encourage parents to go through the HERO pack prior to the first day of camp to ensure that all necessary materials are present. We also encourage campers to participate in the weekly home-based activities and challenges that will take place outside of our regular virtual sessions.
- What if I miss a day of camp? There is no penalty for missing a day of camp, but we do ask that campers commit to participating for the entirety of the camp sessions since camper spots are limited.
- What is the class size limit? Civic Heroes is limited to 40 campers, that will be divided into two groups of 20. Admission into the camp is on a first come, first served basis.
- How do you ensure our children are learning in a safe environment? See below for our Safety and Code of Conduct Policy.
- Do I need a webcam to join the class? All camp sessions will require the use of a webcam.
- My internet is down, what do I do? Please contact your internet service provider for immediate assistance. If you are aware in advance, please notify us as soon as possible.
- I can’t hear class audio, what do I do? We encourage participants to sign on in advance. Zoom will allow you to check your audio prior to joining the session.
- What type of technology do I need? You will need a computer, laptop, or tablet as well as internet connection.
- Who can I contact if I’m having technical difficulty? Prior to the start of camp, you will receive an email with detailed instructions, including who to contact for immediate technical assistance logging into camp programs.
- Can't find your question here? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be glad to answer it!
Created with an image by Jon Tyson - "untitled image"