REFUGEE & IDP DATA
- Total Number Of People Forced From Their Homes: 65.3 Million
- Total number of people forced from their homes: 65.3 Million
- Total number of internally displaced persons: 40.8mil
- Top 5 internally displaced persons countries (and their totals): Colombia: 6.9mil, Syria: 6.6mil, Iraq: 4.4mil, Sudan: 3.2mil, & Nigeria: 2.2mil
- Total number of refugees: 21.3mil
- Top 5 countries of origin for refugees (and their totals): Syria: 4.9mil, Afghanistan: 2.7mil, Somalia: 1.1mil, South Sudan: 778,700, & Sudan: 628,800
- Top 5 host countries for refugees: Turkey, Pakistan, Lebanon, Iran, & Ethiopia
- Syrian refugee stats:
- Total population 22mil
- Total refugees 5 million
- Total internally displaced 7 million
- Syrian casualties One million injured and 400k killed
Refugee: A person who is forced to leave their home because of war, natural disaster, persecution, etc.
IDP (Internally Displaced Persons): A person who is forced to leave their home (still lives in the same country).
Complications In Salam Neighbor
- Difficulty to receive food / water
- No job
- Can't leave the camp
- They'll want equality (ability to get jobs)
- Basic necessities like food, water, health care, etc
What Surprised Me In Salam Neighbor
What surprised me most while watching this film is seeing how hard it is for people in the camps to receive basic necessities (ex: food, water, safety).
Should We Welcome Refugees?
Of COURSE we should welcome Refugees to our community. I feel this way because the reason they leave their countries is to have safer / better lives because of the complications in their countries, and I believe they should have that opportunity.
US Refugee Stats
- Number of refugees settled in the US in 2016: 84,995 Refugees
- Average number of refugees over the past 5 years: 70,000 Refugees
- Top 5 sending countries: Syria, Burma, Iraq, & Somalia
- Top 5 receiving states: California, Texas, New York, Michigan, & Ohio
Trump's Immigration Order
Trump's immigration order bans six countries (Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen) from traveling to the US. This ban is on hold at the moment but, if it is approved then people from all of those six countries won't be able to travel to the US for 90 days.
My Opinion On Trump's Ban
I don't agree with Trump's immigration order. One, by banning those six countries, he's targeting a certain group of people. Two, people should be able to migrate wherever they please, Wether it's for safety or travel. To back up my reasonings, the country's that are banned from entering the United States include, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen(predominantly Muslim countries). Also, the ban halted all green card holders from entering the country.