Choosing Flattering Lingerie by Body Type
Apple Shaped Figure
- Low-cut, strapless, and v-neck outfits
- Corsets - what's old is new again, and for the Apple shaped girl, you can create some curves with a corset. The key is to draw the eyes away from the waist or center. With broader shoulders and a larger bust, clothing with V-necks, deep scoop necks or even strapless tops will draw attention to your bust and face and make you look amazing!
- Babydolls... The goal is to showcase your upper half. Dresses and tops of babydolls that show some skin on the upper level are perfect. Babydolls tends to be simple and flowy on the bottom half, while the bust area is tailored and detailed.
- If you want to camouflage heavy upper arms and tummy consider adding a kimono or short robe.
Pear Shaped Figure
- Love your cleavage and waist line? Then lets accentuate that. Doing this will draw attention away from your bottom half to showcase your “little middle” and fabulous bust. Choose bustiers and push-up bras, or add a corset or corselet to slender your waistline. A long line corset or corset dress can help you to blend the line from hip to waist …making you look smooth, lean and slender.
- Don’t hate your pear bottom, consider tight-fitting pants to play up that bottom half by hugging those sexy curves. Sexy pants (jeans or otherwise) with a top, or even topless is a great option..
- This figure is very easy to work with when it comes to lingerie. The key is to find pieces that are form-fitting. Teddies, body suits, rompers and chemises are great at flattering the hourglass figure.
- Corsets are perfect for this body type, since you are flattering what’s already there.
Rectangle Shaped Figure
- Boned corsets, waist cinchers, push-up bras
- If you have a very straight figure you may want to create the illusion of curves. By accentuating the busts and the legs, we can create gorgeous curves in the middle with something like a well-boned corset. A padded push up bra can also draw a lot more attention giving you a rounder, fuller appearance where you want it most.
- Vintage look lingerie sets...Vintage styles are amazing on straight figures, plus they can create added drama for your photo shoot. Find a lingerie set that feels a little retro and adventurous!
- Chemises...Chemises look amazing on a rectangle figure, especially with a well-padded top.
Other Important Ways to Prepare for your Photo Shoot
- If you color your hair regularly, be sure to get your roots touched up before your photo shoot and get those dry ends trimmed too
- Get a mani/pedi or do it yourself. Be sure to have clean, well groomed nails. They will show in your photos
- Make sure your eyebrows are shaped up (tweeze those crazy strays!)
- Remove all unwanted body (and facial) hair. You can wax, tweeze or shave. If you tend to get redness or irritation, make sure to do it 1-2 days before your shoot.
- Exfoliate your skin if needed and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Also wear clear deodorant on the day of your shoot.
- While I never tell anyone they need to diet, some ladies do ask for suggestions on how to loose that extra water weight. One week before your shoot, cut out as much sugar, carbs and processed foods as possible and drink plenty of water. Your skin will thank you, as well as keep you from looking bloated and puffy. Get as much sleep as you can the night before and eat something light the day of your shoot. You don't want to be hangry.
- On the day of your shoot, wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing that wont leave lines on your skin, or bring a robe. Show up with clean dry hair, and a clean, (no makeup) face. You will be sitting for hair and makeup for about 45 mins.
- Don't over use self tanners and don't get a cheap spray tan!!! A spray tan WILL appear extra orange in photos -- and it can rub off on your clothes or the bedding.
- Avoid getting too much sun right before your session. A photographer’s nightmare is having to Photoshop weird skin tones and sunburn/tan lines. If you want harsh tan lines removed from your photos there will be an extra charge. So please use sunscreen!
- Please don't arrive late. Often my makeup artists are paying for a babysitter and making them wait on you is inconsiderate. If your are more than 20 minutes late, your session will be cancelled.
- MOST IMPORTANT - Don't be nervous!!! I promise you will feel pampered and you will have fun! I'll help you with posing and make sure you look your best.
Here is a list of suggested places to shop for lingerie
Corsets (website only)
Plus size lingerie (Websites)
- Victorias Secret
- La Senza
- Torrid (Plus size)
- Lane Bryant (plus size)
- Charlotte Ruse (inexpensive heels and some lingerie)
- H & M (some inexpensive lingerie)
- TJ Max
- JC Pennys
Stephanie Wallace Photography