Politics started getting better in the 1800's even though there was some resistance. The last time I went to the U.S. everyone was happy because America was winning all the wars and battles which was giving America even more pride. I heard that America got even more land and gained a lot of power. The Democratic-Republicans were the only active national party and it was working out very nicely. Americans were more proud than ever and had a sense of national purpose. Henry Clay's plan to unify the country included a national bank that would promote a single currency so that America wouldn't need to use other countries currencies. Also he said he would put a tax on imported goods to protect the nation’s business from foreign competition. Here's a quote from Henry Clay that shows you that you should trust your inner gut and not just go along with what everybody else is. "Statistics are no substitute for judgment." It explains that you should trust yourself and have your own judgement on a subject. I would like to say that France, where I came from, should keep being America's companion so that they can help each other and share idea's.
Although America mostly grew and became more productive there was still times when it could have been better. One of those times was when slaves and women barley had any rights. This time was tough because white men thought that they were bigger and better than everybody else and treated women and laves like they were trash. They also made up the entire government and didn't let them have rights. Women were constantly being put down about how they "weren't smart enough" or "strong enough". Slaves sometimes didn't get fed enough or even get a good place to sleep. They were over worked and didn't get enough sleep. Some slaves tried to escape but ended up getting caught and being punished even more severely. In conclusion, every nation has their ups and downs.
The early 1800's should be considered The Era of Good Feelings. So many good things happened that helped America become more significant. Art, Music, and Literature promoted America and proved that the U.S. was an individual country. The population even grew stronger and became more proud to be and American. Winning all the wars that America won helped America's pride grow and become stronger. The economy grew stronger and politics became easier to understand and work with. To conclude, Americans should be proud to live in America and have a sense of national purpose.
Work Cited: MLA
- Bower, Bert, and Jim Lobdell. History Alive! Palo Alto, CA: Teachers' Curriculum Institute, 2005. Print.
- "FrontPage." Noahhorizon- Colonial Fair / FrontPage. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2017. <http://noahhorizon.pbworks.com/>.
- "George Catlin Quotes." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2017. <https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/g/georgecatl339019.html>.
- "Google." Google. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2017. <https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Quotes+from+henery+clay>.
- "Google." Google. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2017. <https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=strict&q=Quotes+from+davy+crockett>.
- "Literature During the 1800's - Arts of the 1800's." Google Sites. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2017. <https://sites.google.com/site/artsofthe1800s/literature-during-the-1800-s>.
- "Public Domain Music." Public Domain Music. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2017. <http://www.pdmusic.org/>.
- "Slave Songs Transcend Sorrow." Christianity.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2017. <http://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/1601-1700/slave-songs-transcend-sorrow-11630165.html>.
- Society of Independent Southern Historians. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Feb. 2017. <http://southernhistorians.org/>.