Minutes 4/10/17 Secretary, Kara Donovan

  • Invocation given by Senator Brock
  • Pledge of allegiance
  • Roll call by Secretary Donovan
  • Senators Lyew-Daniels, Bolick, Webb, Ruday, and Richard were found absent
Presentation by Finance Director Conor Kolstad
Presentation by Attorney General Janay Crosland
  • RR: Elaborate on buddy system?
  • JC: Will establish cross-branch collaboration, random matches that will rotate, likely an informal program
  • BB: How does judicial handle graduate vs. undergraduate students?
  • JC: We deal with both; have a graduate student advisor there every night, but have only had maybe 1 or 2 cases with grad students in past
Presentation by Special Assistant to the Vice President of Student Affairs Rusty Guill

Academic Affairs, Shreya Shankar

  • COMMITTEE FINALLY SET! YAY!
  • Meeting with Dr. Griffin this week about relationship with Undergraduate Affairs in the coming term
  • Jacob Crotts will be taking over for Hannah for Drop in Research Spotlight! Whoot whoot go Jacob
  • TA of the Semester will be started this week
  • Undergraduate Curriculum Meeting held on Friday -- everything went smoothly.
  • Talk to me about Vice Chair!
  • Contact Information:
  • Shreya Shankar | 843-260-4372 | shanka2@g.clemson.edu | @ShreyaTheSlaya

Athletics, Josh Hutchinson

  • Shoutouts
  • Shout out to all my awesome new committee members!
  • Shout out to Izzy and Banner for killing the ticketing policy proposal
  • Updates
  • Meeting with Athletics soon to go over ticketing policy proposal
  • Going to meet with Campus Rec to go over future plans for the next term
  • Projects
  • Ticketing policy proposal
  • Athletic updates
  • Clemson Baseball had tied for the eighth-most shutouts in school history in only 30 games.
  • Oh and we’re now ranked #4 in the nation!!
  • In case you forgot, we are still the 2016 College Football National Champions
  • Contact Info
  • Josh Hutchinson | 803-727-3854 | jhutch4@g.clemson.edu

Campus Life, Jacob Livingston

  • Campus Lyfe is set and looking fresher than the FFC
  • Committee is Sundays at 9 PM, please come visit!
  • Went to RHA last week and met with future President Gunnar Branham, who is very excited to work with the committee once he enters his new term.
  • Meeting with Kathy Hobgood was pushed back to April 21
  • Food Summit is this weekend and Dining will have a panel!
  • Tigerflix now has Fences, Machester by the Sea, and Moonlight, so hmu for a movie night. | jwlivin@clemson.edu | (843) 855-2516 | SC: @jacobsayshi | Twitter/Insta: @jacob_livvy
  • Large Scale Projects
  • RHA Partnership: create close partnership between Campus Life and RHA to facilitate ideas and student outreach directly to residence halls
  • Assigning committee members to community councils beginning next semester
  • Talking in committee about how we can best collaborate with them
  • Public Image of Dining: improve the way dining is viewed overall to increase positive attitudes surrounding on-campus dining
  • Will bring up employee shoutout program to Kathy at first meeting to start project
  • Looking to give these ideas to other Senators (easy, quick, helpful) and help them work through the program
  • Off Campus Housing Fair: organize a fair of off-campus housing locations to allow students to better select housing in the Clemson area
  • Seeking to coordinate date with Housing to not overlap the new on-campus housing deadline
  • Discussing location in committee
  • Committee Member Updates
  • Rachel Reid
  • Multicultural Dining Hall Days: establish program that showcases foods in dining halls specific to different international cultures, sponsored by student organizations
  • Established interest from the Japanese Cultural Association, will get thoughts and details from Amanda at first meeting, seeking first day to take place in August
  • Jade Richard
  • Paper towel recycling bins in residence halls: wants to see recycling bins used for paper towels specifically in all public restrooms in residence halls
  • Seeking contact in Housing for next step

Finance & Procedures, Miller Hoffman

  • 1. Great start from F&P
  • First Committee
  • Projects coming soon
  • 2. Legislation
  • 3 funding bills in 2nd Read tonight
  • 3 Appointment/Appointment-related bills tonight
  • 3. Funding board Wednesday
  • Time: 6:00 pm
  • Come out (even just for a few presentations)
  • 4. Taking over Financial Awareness Week
  • As always, hit me up with questions and conversation
  • 803-412-5983 mhoffm5@g.clemson.edu

Health & Human Services, Madison Gregoris

  • Committees are final! Yay
  • Welcome to HHS - Aliyah, Daniel, Jay, Perrin, Stephen
  • First committee meeting was Sunday, we’re all best friends
  • Met with Dr. Kendra Stewart-Tillman & Lauren Singleton this past Wednesday (4/5), discussed the sustainability of diversity and inclusivity projects
  • What Gantt is working on
  • How we can be of assistance to them
  • How our projects can fit in with what they’re already doing
  • Meeting with Patrick this week to discuss sustainable efforts through T&F and HHS collaboration and Safety Walk
  • HHS should be coming in hot with project directions this upcoming week
  • Senator S/O:
  • Stephen Moore: last week on Wednesday night I texted him at approximately 9:48PM and asked if he could be at the offices by 10 to start working on a project and he was there - that’s dedication and initiative - luv it
  • Finally:
  • Think about interviewing for a vice chair spot for your committee
  • “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” | 3155592066, mjgrego@g.clemson.edu, SC: @madisonj315

Transportation & Facilities, Patrick Gorospe

  • BikeShare!!!
  • Sign up for $5 at Clemson.Bcycle.com, pick up registration card at Parking & Transportation services office in Union
  • First two hours free, $1/hr after
  • 5 stations, 50 bikes across campus
  • Send any concerns my way! (soft launch now, hard launch in Fall)
  • East Energy Facility Controversy
  • Clemson BOT approved $55million natural gas facility behind 76 Armory
  • Purpose is to meet growing energy needs while also being able relocate energy and steam facilities near Core Campus
  • Residents and City Leaders concerned
  • Representatives with Duke Energy will attend an open house at Clemson Presbyterian Church at 7:00 p.m on April 10 (aka right now) to discuss the project with residents and local officials
  • Network for Innovation and Marketable Skills (NIMS) - meets every Wednesday is Watt 316 at 3:30pm. Come join the maker movement on campus!
  • Design & Entrepreneurship Network (DEN) - on campus promoter of Design Thinking and Entrepreneurship. Can take as CI or Club. Come bring your ideas and yourself!
  • HMU 803-371-0959 | pgorosp@clemson.edu | @heyitsmepatg (coffee, free food, friendship)
  • TALK TO ME ABOUT VICE CHAIR CUZ DRIVING IS FUN (AND DANGEROUS)

University Services, Mikey Summers

  • Committee is finally set! Welcome to Peter, Beau, Ashley, Thomas, Jacovia, Catherine,
  • Met with Jamie Brown, CCIT Liaison
  • Duo/Multi-factor Authentication
  • Phishing emails, data stolen
  • End of semester registration goal
  • CIO Search Back-on
  • First round of interviews/offers didn’t work out
  • We The Tigers
  • AJ has been working to find admin account
  • Fallen by the wayside over the last couple years
  • Touring the Palmetto Cluster as a committee. Everyone is welcome!
  • Clemson’s incredible super-computing facility
  • Meeting this week with Sam Hoover this week
  • My.clemson app
  • Contact:
  • Phone: (864)328-7441
  • Email: mrsumme@clemson.edu
  • YAS bitch! @ThomasMarshall

Clerk, Jack Council

  • Legislation note
  • You can approve part of a line
  • Driving
  • Spring Retreat

Secretary, Kara Donovan

  • New seating chart
  • Points
  • Contact info:
  • (410)-220-7220
  • donova3@g.clemson.edu
  • Insta: @kara710
  • Twitter: @kdon710

Pro Temp, Steven Patrick

  • Spring retreat!
  • Survey
  • t-shirts
  • Fall retreat
  • Get ready for it!
  • Senate Manuals
  • Driving
  • “ ‘You’ll get an email’ - Bryce Conti” - Steven Patrick

Vice President, Jaren Stewart

  • Contact info:
  • (858)-500-6354
  • jarens@g.clemson.edu
  • Snapchat: jaren.j
  • Insta: @unclej

President, Leland Dunwoodie

  • Shoutouts
  • Steering, Steven + Jack
  • Updates
  • Outreach: Lambda Alpha Theta, TigerVision
  • Senator to meet with Admissions and LAT
  • Academic Integrity Committee
  • 1 rep from Education
  • 1 rep from CECAS
  • 2 reps from Business
  • 1 rep from Science
  • 1 rep from AAH
  • Twitter @CUSGSenate - Beau
  • Steering Action Steps
  • Using our resources to have a greater impact
  • Have a project? Let’s involve those that can make change.
  • Leland Dunwoodie | 269-759-4768 | ldunwoo@g.clemson.edu | @lelanddunwoodie

Old Business

Senate Bill 2
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended non-operational appropriations
  • CJ: con- move to call to question
  • Bill passes
Senate Bill 3
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended operational appropriations
  • MP: con- move to call to question
  • Bill passes
Senate Bill 4
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Purpose: To approve the recommended non-operational appropriations
  • AA: con- move to call to question
  • Bill passes

new business

Senate Bill 6
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Sponsors: Killian McDonald & Emma Hume
  • Purpose: To create the one-year positions of Secretary of Affairs, Secretary of Advancement, Secretary of Communications, Secretary of Engagement, LGBTQIA+ Engagement Director, Multicultural and International Engagement Director, Advisor to the Vice President’s Council, and Webmaster.
  • EH: worked with past chief of staffs, collaborative, not necessarily all new duties just streamlining, secretaries will be more involved with directors under them, bring updates to cabinet, every other week will be full cabinet, secretaries help with platform implementation
  • KM: new positions created for platform, focused on diversity & inclusivity, increase transparency and communication
  • EH: webmaster working on increasing transparency of website, critical to this year in particular
  • CJ: multicultural & int’l engagement director relationship with CODA director
  • KM: CODA is very internal, tunnel of oppression, but too many communities to fit under one person in CODA, new director will be more focused on outreach, try to better represent more of these communities within CUSG
  • EH: a bridge between CODA and CUSG, but more external
  • BS: advisor to VP cabinet, why is it necessary?
  • KM: vice presidential cabinet hasn’t been utilized in a while, want to make it sustainable, organizing meetings, keep this an important component that doesn’t slip to the side
  • MP: LGBTQIA+ and multicultural different from Senators representing constituents?
  • EH: specific to underrepresented groups, senators don’t specifically represent different groups on campus
  • MP: new directors working with cross branch collaboration
  • KM: secretaries will facilitate communication between directors and prez, vp, chief of staff
  • EH: chief of staff and secretaries coming to senate almost every week
  • JH: webmaster- how will it help website as opposed to just PR
  • EH: huge issue with coding of website in different languages, redo in 1 language, focus on more operational side, not as much putting pics, etc
  • KV: executive secretary? And advisor to vice president- managing secretaries?
  • EH: executive secretary does minutes for cabinet, etc. make it same person as finance director because executive secretary not having as much to do, advisor not in charge but more working with secretaries
  • SP: where is organizations
  • EH: under secretary of organizations
  • SP: weekly roles of advisor to vp
  • KM: working with organizations via council to see who to talk to that week, any organizations in it currently have to be approved by senate, meet once every 2 weeks
  • CP: council or cabinet
  • EH: council is final one
  • MR: why discontinue greek affairs
  • EH: on greek affairs, but not enough issues and not enough need for it, already advisors and a lot of advocacy already going on for FSL, under big 6 in vp council
  • MR: consider the position to collaborate between different branches of greek life
  • EH: whole mission of entire greek life office, too much stepping on their toes
  • AO: clarifying line 30/31 (secretary of communications promoting clemson’s core values)
  • KM: make sure to check CUSG is always responding from the core values standpoint as opposed to personal beliefs, use as backing with all communication
  • PG: new positions under secretary of engagement outreach
  • Neha: meeting with many students to find out what they want, 8 concrete goals for next year
  • PG: honoraria?
  • EH: senate won’t be touched, secretaries will get more than directors but still expected to use with directors, will share with body
  • JS: friendly amendment- line 76 change “advertising” to “to advertise”
  • Authors accept
  • JS: consider a position to represent students with disabilities
  • EH: too late for cabinet, but could use for outreach, or ad hoc, and advise next year, secretary of engagement
  • IK: role of webmaster
  • EH: this year primarily for coding, but also increasing transparency by posting legislation
  • Taylor: under legislative branch or a new section, be in touch with senate to see what is wanted on website
  • AA: how long will it take
  • EH: substantial amount of work probably take a while
  • Bryce: been through a lot of people, manage everyone to make sure things can be uploaded, fix broken tabs if people need to put things on website and simplify it
  • ST: secretaries might dilute interests of groups under?
  • KM: no, will be going to all the directors’ meetings, communicating and talking to everyone and stay very involved
  • ST: clarify underrepresented groups on campus
  • KM: many came to senate tonight, from speaking to them don’t have a lot of representation within CUSG
  • CJ: difference between secretary of organizations and outreach director
  • EH: outreach going out in communities externally
  • Bryce: org director making sure orgs get recognized by university to apply for funding, etc. overseeing tiger quest, tiger prowl (fall & spring)
  • CJ: how will outreach do this
  • Lauren: orgs not in big 6, looking into purpose statements and group with similar interests to assign to outreach committee members to make sure they are advocated for
  • BD: secretary of organizations missing?
  • EH: will amend in committee, changing from director to secretary
  • MG: both LGBTQIA+ and multicultural will have committees?
  • EH: correct
  • MG: encourage them to come to senate
  • KM: already working with senate to get resolution passed, plan to continue
  • RR: senate stipends
  • EH: not changing
  • RR: clemson values statement task force
  • Joey: will be interacting with wide variety of groups, stressed diversity & inclusivity
  • JC: role of gov’t affairs
  • Carey: make students more informed, represent CUSG to gov’t
  • BS: webmaster preventing any future problems
  • EH: whole purpose to make code easily accessible and make sure the person has coding experience
  • BS: what language
  • Taylor: all options considered
  • CJ: position in bylaws for organizations
  • MH: looking in bylaws since it is changing from director to secretary, either temp position or amend bylaws
  • PH: how is PR different from webmaster
  • Madeline: PR focused on transparency and more about people, highlight people involved in senate & goals for year, weekly emails more concise, social media, no coding experience, more graphics & creativity
  • PS: why secretary of organizations if only outreach under
  • EH: organizations is more broad and covers a lot, outreach specifically tasked with going out and finding organizations
  • KV: is webmaster committee or 1 person
  • EH: 1 person but could change
  • TM: gov’t affairs having committee?
  • EH: yes have committee, around 10 people
  • MP: move to send bill back to F&P
  • Back in F&P
Senate Bill 7
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Sponsors: Killian McDonald & Emma Hume
  • Purpose: To create the one-year dual position of Finance Director/Executive Secretary
  • AM: name
  • EH: name will be just finance director
  • PG: both positions are in bylaws
  • EH: both still be filled by 1 person
  • MH: not amending bylaws because trying it for sake of efficiency
  • PG: honoraria
  • EH: one salary
  • ST: where is finance director on diagram
  • EH: executive secretary
  • CJ: considering amendment to bylaws
  • EH: yes, will visit in fall
  • ZP: move to send back to F&P
  • Back in F&P
Senate Bill 8
  • Author: Miller Hoffman
  • Sponsor: Killian McDonald
  • Purpose: To approve the following appointments to the 2017-2018 President's Cabinet
  • RR: is every position on diagram supposed to be in bill
  • KM: yes, but do not select transfer council & CODA
  • MH: those are internal elections
  • JS: organizations director in line 13
  • MH: will fix before second read
  • JL: judicial separate from executive?
  • MH: how it’s been done in past, comes to cabinet meetings, etc.
  • PG: CODA and transfer council internally elected
  • KM: invited to interviews, let them elect their own people
  • JS: move to send back to F&P
  • Back in F&P

Announcements

  • JL: food summit saturday 9-1
  • BS: follow senate twitter
  • BS: AXO Chillin on Carillon
  • Joey: speak out from 7-10 at Tillman for sexual assault awareness month
  • KD: missing committee will be half absence
  • TM: men of color summit, ambassador to prospective men of color, raise awareness
  • EA: move for roll call
  • Senators Lyew-Daniels, Bolick, Webb, Ruday, and Richard were found absent

AS: move to adjourn

Created By
Kara Donovan
Appreciate

Credits:

Created with images by jill111 - "stack of books vintage books book" • Sweet Carolina Photography - "CU vs. Duke 2008 - Dabo & the Tigers" • Daria-Yakovleva - "background frame food" • TBIT - "dollar bank note money" • www.metaphoricalplatypus.com - "Bikes" • mebner1 - "printer 3d making"

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.