02 AUGUST 2020 | Traditional Service
Rev Philip Lim, Pastor
Scripture Passage: Psalm 64 (NIV)
WATCH | SERMON (Video)
(Click on video below)
READ | SERMON NOTES
Summary | We need not fear, for God hears, hides and helps us.
Covid-19 has wrought havoc, fear and uncertainty in Singapore in the last six months.
Psalm 64 is David’s prayer to God to hear, hide and help him.
Humans develop selective hearing — learning to hear pleasing sounds while shutting out others — as well as hearing loss frequencies. So we end up generally hearing what we want to hear, and we don’t always hear well. But God hears us all the time! The prayer of the upright is His delight (Proverbs 15:8, NASB).
In times of peril, mother birds hide chicks beneath themselves and protect them with their own lives. The chicks must come under her wings as she cannot be chasing them in every direction — a stark reminder of what our Saviour Jesus has done for us. But it is we who must run to Him for protection. Are we willing to run to God?
God will shoot and wound the opposition and save His righteous ones. In the end, God will win and His children will prevail. Man often shoots and misses but God’s aim is perfect. If God be for us, who can be against us (Romans 8:31, KJV)?
God is with us to hear us, hide us and help us. In Christ, the battle is won and we can overcome all fear.
(Sermon Notes by Kwun Pillai)
PONDER | REFLECTION QUESTIONS:
1. When faced with difficulties, or overwhelmed by problems, what do we do? Do we try to solve them ourselves, or do we go to God in prayer? When we go to God in prayer, are we confident that God will hear our prayers?
2. Paul reminds us in Romans 8:31, “If God be for us, who can be against us?” We have a God who is for us, yet why are so many of us living such defeated lives?
3. If we are to take God’s Word for it (Romans 8:31), how may our outlook on life change?
4. David knew God would protect him. He cried out to God to hide him because he was willing to run to God in time of trouble. How about us?
5. How may the example of David’s prayer moments with God encourage you, and grow your confidence that God hears you and hides you and will help you?
6. What are the steps you can take to grow your prayer moments with God?