There are many factors, which could lead to email client change. Like change in job setting, changing job, some may find a new email client better than there older one, some may not be happy with their current application and so on. In this article we will try explore one facet of switching email client that is mail migration. Moving emails from one application to another is difficult, so here we will have a look into MBOX to PST Conversion, and mbox export process as it is the most sought after procedure.
Let’s start the talk with MBOX, it is a mailbox format, which is used for saving emails as obvious it is, a MBOX mail can consist of text, formatting and attachments easily, along some other email elements like metadata items. PST is also like MBOX, it can save multiple files, but unlike MBOX in PST you can save mails, contacts, calendar and other items. Another difference between MBOX and PST is that MBOX is supported by many application like Mozilla Thunderbird, Gmail, Mulberry, Netscape, Apple Mail, Earthlink, Turnpike and many more, whereas PST is supported by MS Outlook only, you cannot open a PST in any other application, which is a great think as it secure your data from unwanted access.
But when it comes to accessing MBOX files in MS Outlook, there is no option available to view or open them in Outlook. But thankfully there are some alternate methods available for accessing the data; here we will discuss the 2 of them:
Manual Method of Exporting MBOX to PST
The manual method includes two processes to cxport the emails from MBOX files to final PST. The steps are as below -
Step 1: Get the MBOX files in Thunderbird
- To start the process, first you need to install Thunderbird
- Open Thunderbird, go to Tools menu >> Add on
- Now add the extension ImportExportTools in Thunderbird
- Now restart Thunderbird go to Tool >> ImportExport option >> Click on Import MBOX file
- Browse for the MBOX file or files >> Select >> Done
- Now that you have the file in Thunderbird
- Again go to Tools >> ImportExportTools >> Export all Messages in the folder >> EML format
- Now all your emails will be EML format
Step 2: Get files in Outlook via Windows Live Mail
- If you are using Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, then it will be a default application in your machine
- Have an account configured in Live Mail
- Now save the EML files in Live Mail Store location, which is: C:\Users\ logon\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail
- Now open Windows Live Mail
- Go to File >> Export >> Messages
- Now the Export Wizard appears >> click on MS Exchange >> Next >> OK
- Now select the folder/folders to export >> Click on OK
- When the process is complete click on Finish option
Use MBOX to PST Converter and get it done quicker
As you can see the manual method is rather lengthy and confusing, if you do not prefer that, then you can make use of the MBOX to PST Converter, which will instantly get the MBOX files converted into PST format, with complete details like metadata items, attachments and formatting. This method is very quick and do not require any additional tool to work, a complete Windows solution, is a much desired option.
The software available is feature rich utility that add in benefits of using the tool. Software provides effective scan engine that scans the exact data and converts them to PST accurately whether it’s your email headers, time stamps or attachments and at the same time exports all emails and folders from MBOX into PST format. Splitting Output PST file is another exclusive feature to split PST files by their file size making the after conversion working in MS Outlook easy for users.
Free Demo version of MBOX to PST Converter works similarly as licensed edition, the only difference is its restriction in conversion. The Demo version version exports only first 25 emails from every MBOX files to Outlook PST file. You can really evaluate the process by getting the trial version. Once satisfied with the results of demo version, you can order the full version at just $ 35 only.