Over 200 Cal State Long Beach students, alumni and staff gathered in the courtyard in front of the University Dining Plaza on Wednesday to watch "The Divine Nine" of the Black Greek letter organization. These organizations are referred to as "The Divine Nine" because they are historically part of the National Pan-Hellenic Council. Many of these organizations can be found at nationally recognized historically black universities and colleges (HBCUs) around the U.S.
Opening the show were the ques...or as they call themselves, que dogs. The howling and signature dog barking grabbed the audience's attention as they collectively stepped to their Frat's official song. They are recognized by their golden shoes and deep purple shirts, they are historically significant to the HBCU system. Michael Jordan, Langston Hughes, and Jesse Jackson are a few greats who were a part of Omega Psi Phi.
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Founded 1906, Cornell University
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Founded 1908, Howard University
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Founded 1911, Indiana University
- Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Founded 1911, Howard University
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Founded 1913, Howard University
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Founded 1914, Howard University
- Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Founded 1920, Howard University
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Founded 1922, Butler University
- Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Founded 1963, Morgan State University
Not all the members of these Black organizations are required to be of Black or African descent. It is an equal opportunity for all students of college campuses across the country to learn more about the fellowship that the Divine Nine bring. They were all encouraged to attend later events sponsored by the chapters.
Black fraternities and sororities carry rich traditions that date back into the early 1900s. They were among the first channels that allowed black people to connect with one another in a society facing racial divide. It is an ethnic way for people of color to seek brother and sisterhood in a community rich in pride.
Founded on January 13, 1913, Delta Sigma Theta sorority gave the longest performance of the step show. Sporting all red boots, their moves were intricate and they brought the evening alive with their chants. The ladies wore all black, red and cream and showed the audience why they should claim the title of the best sorority at CSULB.