Class of 2019 This time of year can feel overwhelming between managing classes, jobs, community service, and college preparations, but the good news is you have amazing support in your teachers, peers, and counselors. Mrs. Stone will be meeting with you individually to help you through the process and answer any questions about the below information.
FAFSA TIME… Already??
What you need to know about FAFSA (The Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- It is the main financial aid application that students complete to determine if they qualify for any state/federal scholarships (TN or GA HOPE/lottery) or grants.
- It can be completed online at www.fafsa.gov
- Your application for the 2019-2020 (year you are enrolling in college) and will be completed based off of 2017 tax information.
- There will be an IRS Data Retrieval tool available which should simplify the process.
When you need to start the FAFSA >>Applications open OCTOBER 1, 2018<<
Before you start the FAFSA Application
- students and parents/legal guardians will be required to create a FSA ID online
- student and parent/legal guardian FSA IDs are used to access and sign the student’s FAFSA.
>>More FAFSA/Financial Aid information will be emailed to you at the end of the month<<
The Class of 2019 TN Promise (full scholarship for an Associate’s Degree) application opened for completion on August 1, 2018 and students will have until November 1, 2018 at 11:59 PM to complete the scholarship application in order to become eligible.
Due to the new FAFSA timeline, the TN Promise FAFSA filing deadline for Class of 2019 TN Promise students will be February 1, 2019.
If you are planning to apply for the TN Promise, you must apply to a TN Community College or a TN College of Applied Technology.
- TN Promise Fall Meeting: TBA December, 2018 at 5:30 PM ET at Chattanooga State Community College – strongly encouraged for important information
- TN Promise Mandatory Spring Meeting: TBA March or April 2019 at 5:30 PM ET at Chattanooga State Community College
Things to Do:
- Meet with Mrs. Stone for college prep information and questions
- Make sure you have created an account or are on the prospect list for colleges that you have on your list.
- Apply to the colleges on your list. Request Transcripts via Naviance.
- Any requests that you want processed before Fall Break must be submitted via Naviance on or before Sept. 28
- Check out ACT/SAT Test Prep opportunities.
- Check NAVIANCE weekly for updated information.
- Check Announcements daily for important information and college visit days.