Dominated by three ethnic groups.
- 1: the kanji northeastern corner around Lake Chad
- 2: Hausa- Dominant group north of Niger found west of Kanuri.
- 3:Fulani (scattered through all of northern Nigeria ,same religious faith as Islam)
The number of churches increased and churches influence on society increased.
Religion quotes (Things fall apart)
- Chapter One: "And now he was going to take the Idemili title, the third highest in the land. It was a very expensive ceremony and he was gathering all his resources together." (Achebe 6-7)
- Chapter Two: "Darkness held a vague terror for these people, even the bravest among them. Children were warned not to whistle at night for fear of evil spirits." (Achebe 9)
- Chapter three: " Many years ago when Okonkwo was still a boy his father, Unoka, had gone to consult Agbala. The priestess in those days was a woman called Chika. She was full of the power of her God, and she was greatly feared." (Achebe 17)
- Chapter Four: "We should observe a week in which a man does not say a harsh word to his neighbor, we live in peace." (Achebe 30)
- Chapter five:"The feast of the new yam was held every year before the harvest began,to honor the earth goddess and the ancestral spirits of the clan.New yams couldn't be eaten until some had first been offered to these powers".(Achebe 36)
- Chapter six:"The contest began with bags of fifteen or sixteen .There were only three such boys in each team.They were not the real wrestlers they merely set the scene."(Achebe 47)
- Chapter seven:"yes ,umuofia has decided to kill him.The oracle of the hills and caves has pronounced it"(Achebe 57)
- Chapter eight:"But so,done had to do it .If we were all afraid of blood ,it would not be done .And what do you think the oracle would do then"(Achebe 67)
- Chapter nine:" After the death of elder is second child,Okonkwo had gone to a medicine man who was also a diviner of the afar oracle to inquire what was amiss.This man told him that the child was an ogbanje ,one of those wicked children who when they dies entered their mothers wombs to be born again".(Achebe 77)
Compare and contrast
- How religion changed from pre colonial to post colonial nigeria?
- Pre colonial: Prior to British colonials attack into the different territories that are now aggregated as Nigeria,the various ethnic nationalities within these territories had their respective systems of social organization and religious beliefs .Although religion and politics were dominant features of life in the traditional settings of the different ethnic nationalities there were some communities where religion and politics were independence.
on; Religion and the Nigerian State: Situating the de facto and de jure Frontiers of State–Religion Relations and its Implications for National Security. Ox J Law Religion 2014; 3 (2): 311-339. doi: 10.1093/ojlr/rwt026
Post colonial:After Great Britain started to increase their influence in Nigeria many Christian missionaries tried to spread Christianity to the native people.many became Christian after the British colonized Nigerian in 1914. But many are now Muslims.The religions that are in Nigeria today are the cause of colonization.Dominant in southern and central Nigeria.
Street Nick"religion and conflict in Nigeria:Learning to play well with others "Thehuffingtonpost.Thehuffingtonpost.com,n.d. Web.24 Feb ,2015