Today we are going to be Astronomer's and study the Phases of the Moon.
When is the best time to see the moon during the day or during the night? We see it best at night because we can see the reflection of the sun light up part of the moon.
It takes the moon 29 days (about 1 month) to travel around the earth. The different phases that we see are when the moon is at different points in that orbit. Orbit means to move in orbit around (star/planet).
There are eight phases of the moon
- New Moon - The first phases of the moon - the side of the moon facing the Earth is not illuminated (lit) up. The moon is up during the day, and down through out the night. This is why can not see the moon during this phase.
- Waxing Crescent - During this phase, we can only see part of the Moon. This sliver (banana) shape can be seen each evening just after sunset. The Moon is "waxing" because each night a little bit more is visible for a little bit longer.
- First Quarter - During first quarter, 1/2 of the moon is visible for the first half of the evening, and then goes down, leaving the sky very dark.
- Waxing Gibbous -When we can see most of the Moon we say it is a Gibbous Moon. We all but a little sliver (banana) shape of the moon. During this phase, the Moon remains in the sky most of the night.
- Full Moon- When we can see the entire face of the moon, it is a Full Moon. A full moon will rise just as the evening begins, and will set just before morning.
- Waning Gibbous- During this phase, we can see all but a sliver of the Moon. The difference is that instead of seeing more of the Moon each night, we begin to see less and less of the Moon each night. This is what the word "waning" means.
- Last Quarter - During this phase we can see exactly 1/2 of the Moon's lighted surface.
- Waning Crescent - Finally, during a Waning Crescent Moon, observers on Earth can only see a small sliver of the Moon, and only just before morning. Each night less of the Moon is visible for less time.
Lets Learn the Phases of the Moon in a Song
What is the first phase of the moon? What is the last phase of the moon called?
Lets all Say the Phases ALl together Now
- New Moon
- Waxing Cresent
- First Quater
- Waxing Gibbous
- Full Moon
- Waning Gibbous
- Last Quater
- Waning Cresent
- Who was the first man on the Moon? Neil Armstrong an American Astronaut
- Is the moon a Planet? No there is no life, no air, and no water -nothing can live on the Moon.
- The Moon orbits what?____ and the Earth orbits the Sun.
Now we are going to make our own flip book of the Phases of The moon
We will cut out the flip book and staple the book together
Click on the Button Below to get more flip book ideas