The blog describes the top 3 ways to fix various errors in MS Access database in case of corruption and logical damage. These resolution methods contain both manual and automatic Access Repair methods and works when implemented carefully.
Database file grows with the rising number of emails being received on a daily basis. This affects the performance of Access database, and the user sometimes feels the delay in processes. Since database files are bound with a stipulated storage capacity, reaching or exceeding this specified limit makes the ACCDB file inaccessible.
Apart from an oversized file, reasons such as virus intrusion, application malfunction, storage media breakdown, ACCDB header corruption and other similar reasons makes the entire database inaccessible. To gain accessibility to the corrupt data, it is important to fix the Access database corruption errors with immediate consideration and attention. Some of the Access error resolution methods are as follows:
Fix #1: Compact & Repair: This built-in Access database utility helps fix two major issues – a larger volume of .ACCDB file and corrupt database files. Since new data is being added, design is changed constantly and the database becomes larger. The main reason behind considerable growth of ACCDB file is addition of new data.
The application creates hidden components for assigning and completing various tasks. These objects normally exist in the database even when they are no longer required. Whenever an object is deleted, space is not reclaimed by the hard drive; therefore, database files utilize it.
Access DB files are usually shared over a network and edited by multiple users, due to which they turn corrupt. Particularly so when the data is edited in the Memo fields, there is a large risk of data corruption. Therefore, Compact and Repair can be used to mitigate the risk of corruption in Access files.
When the process to repair MS access database is completed successfully, a message is displayed notifying that the repair operation is successful. It also states to check the database objects to ensure that all the objects are repaired accurately.
It is recommended to backup data as in some cases, the Access database is partially repaired. In such cases, there is an alternate to recover data from the backup even if it is not made recently.
Fix #2: Import ACCDB to a New Database: A number of ways are available to import data in a new Access database. Though it can be imported using Copy and Paste technique, however, importing the database to a new one gives a better control over the data and it is easy to manage. Data is linked to a new database in numerous scenarios:
- When you want to merge two different tables existing within the Access database.
- When new tables need to be created similar to that of the tables existing in the new database.
- When corruption exists within database files and you need to copy its objects to a new database.
To Import Access to New Database: The procedure to import data to new database is categorized into three sections:
- Prepare for Import Operation
- Run Import Wizard
- Save Import Settings as an import specification for later consideration, Let’s delve into each:
Step 1: Prepare for Import
- Locate source database and identify objects that need to be imported. Note: If the file format for source database is MDE or ACCDE, the source object must be a query, a table, or a macro. Forms, modules and reports cannot be imported with ACCDE or MDE file.
- Identify database object that you need to export
- Close Source database; ensure that the database is not accessed in the exclusive mode. Note: Ensure that the database is not ‘read-only’ and you hold all the permissions to add data and objects to the database
In case, the source database is password-protected, you then need to provide the password each time you attempt to use it as source for import operation.
Step 2: Import the Data
- On the External Data tab, click on Access in the Import group.
- Click on Browse to upload the database file or provide the name of source database in File name text box.
- Select Import tables, queries, forms, reports, macros and modules into the current database and click on OK.
- In the Import Objects dialog box, click on each tab and select desired objects
- To cancel selected objects, click on object again
- Click on Options to specify additional settings
- Click on OK to accomplish import process
Step 3: Save Import Specifications
Click on Save Import Steps for saving the details of the import process. Doing this will prevent stepping through the import wizard each time you need to repeat the import operation at any later stage.
Fix #3: Stellar Phoenix Access Database Repair
The Access database repair software is one of the top fixes to repair corrupt Access database in a safe manner. A user can repair ACCDB and MDB file by using it. Large volume Access databases can be uploaded to the tool for repair. If you do not know the location of the damaged Access database file, the tool provides the option to find the file within the specified drive on the storage media.
Support and compatibility of this software
The tools supports repair for MS Access 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002 and 2000 on Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, 2003 and XP.
Many solutions are available to repair MS Access database files against various error messages; however, the inbuilt solution may not work on another issue. Therefore, the Access repair software is recommended over manual solutions as it is capable of handling all error messages, and that too, efficiently!