- Noah Webster
- Horace Mann
- Fredrich Froebel
Noah Webster was the author of spellers and textbooks used to create the elementary school curriculum. He then went on to create the Webster's dictionary, which we still use today.
Horace Mann was the first secretary of the Massachusetts Board of Education and the father of the common school movement. Horace was also a potictiian. In the "normal" schools, teachers were trained to follow his guidelines.
Friedrich Froebel established the first Kindergarten in Germany in 1837. It severed as the model for early Kindergartens int he US. Froebel believed that Kindergarten had three essential parts: creative play, singing and dancing and observing and nurturing plants.
- Brown VS School of Education
- The first public school opened
- Title IX - Outlawing segregation based on sex.
Brown VS School of Education was a landmark of the United States. It was a case that created a law that allowed segregation of white and black students to be unconstitutional. This happened in Topeka, KS in 1954.
I chose this picture because the girl on the left is the only black child in the class. You can tell by the look on her face that she is scared and does not know what to expect.
The first public school opened in Massachusetts in 1839. This was a school where mostly women went to gain a further education on how to to teach. Most school focused mainly on religion and were held in a church. This school became a one room school house that taught reading, writing and arithmetic.
Title IX was introduced. This was the Education Amendments Act of 1972 that became a federal law stating, "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."
How I feel these impact the schools today:
In my opinion, I think that each philosopher mentioned about impacted the education system today. If it was not for Noah Webster, we would not have a "guideline" to base school cirriculum on. We would also not have a dictionary. Horace Mann created a "guideline" on how teachers should teach students, in my opinion, that is something we need. I know teaching does not sound that complicated, but you need some sort of training guide to base teaching off of. Finally, Fredrich Froebel, the establisher of Kindergarten, would be important in my eyes. I look at him as starting the children young and making sure we know when out child should be learning certain things. Taking his ideas and creating the first actual grade that counts, seems pretty successful if you ask me.
I chose my events because I feel they had the most impact on education, at least at this very moment. If it wasn't for the Brown VS The School of Education, we would still have black and white schools. Everything would still be segregated and it would just not be a fun world to live in. If the first public schools were not created, students would be stuck learning a lot of religion and a lot less of stuff they need to use in the future. I think it was good that the guidelines were set early on. Finally, Title IX makes good for every woman. Without that law passed, women would not be eligible for all the financial aid or benefits that men are. Being a woman, that would just not be right. If you look at most teachers today, many of them are women. Without being able to get through school, there would not be as many teachers today.
- History - Brown v. Board of Education Re-enactment. (n.d.). Retrieved January 15, 2017, from http://www.uscourts.gov/educational-resources/educational-activities/history-brown-v-board-education-re-enactment
- Title IX Frequently Asked Questions. (2014, January 27). Retrieved January 15, 2017, from http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions
- Hall, G. E., Quinn, L. F., & Gollnick, D. M. (2014). Introduction to teaching: making a difference in student learning. Los Angeles: SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Redirect Notice. (n.d.). Retrieved January 15, 2017, from https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjIvv79j8XRAhWE4IMKHUq0Bi0QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Ftpiatt%2Fesu-classes%2F&bvm=bv.144224172%2Cd.amc&psig=AFQjCNE0FGf_1lTJFvjD9nJpmi-cJamCAA&ust=1484602558015851
- Redirect Notice. (n.d.). Retrieved January 15, 2017, from https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiPsO75j8XRAhVq6oMKHSNZCkcQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbrothersontherise.com%2Fevent%2Ftitle-ix-with-the-brothers%2F&bvm=bv.144224172%2Cd.amc&psig=AFQjCNGZNk22fk5ZWKe6R553bzqiOSOD1w&ust=1484602657324737
- Redirect Notice. (n.d.). Retrieved January 15, 2017, from https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fhistoricindianapolis.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F09%2F1923.IPS_.No_.1_Hyde.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fhistoricindianapolis.com%2Fhi-mailbag-indianapolis-first-public-schools%2F&docid=8q9G-YzAY0ta3M&tbnid=IXJdjJ1ZjhZusM%3A&vet=1&w=2100&h=1413&client=safari&bih=748&biw=1427&q=first public school 1839&ved=0ahUKEwjfmsKpjsXRAhVD5IMKHUzkBQcQMwgmKAwwDA&iact=mrc&uact=8
- Redirect Notice. (n.d.). Retrieved January 15, 2017, from https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2Fa%2Fa5%2FNoah_Webster_pre-1843_IMG_4412_Cropped.JPG%2F220px-Noah_Webster_pre-1843_IMG_4412_Cropped.JPG&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FNoah_Webster&docid=uFRXnGcVH9OWDM&tbnid=SsJvlqpAKxSlAM%3A&vet=1&w=220&h=321&client=safari&bih=748&biw=1427&q=noah webster&ved=0ahUKEwiLxv26jsXRAhWq34MKHR2fD7oQMwgvKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8
- Redirect Notice. (n.d.). Retrieved January 15, 2017, from https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmstartzman.pbworks.com%2Ff%2F1257216493%2F36209-004-BEC06149%255B1%255D.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmstartzman.pbworks.com%2Fw%2Fpage%2F21900143%2FHorace%2520Mann%2520%287%29&docid=BxktHtpOg6Zy7M&tbnid=QlQDx0qoxRLPKM%3A&vet=1&w=352&h=450&client=safari&bih=748&biw=1427&q=horace mann&ved=0ahUKEwi1yI7BjsXRAhVK3IMKHfttC6YQMwg6KAIwAg&iact=mrc&uact=8
- Redirect Notice. (n.d.). Retrieved January 15, 2017, from https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fthumb%2F8%2F82%2FFrederick-Froebel-Bardeen.jpeg%2F200px-Frederick-Froebel-Bardeen.jpeg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FFriedrich_Fr%25C3%25B6bel&docid=XRj66eFgwMCHUM&tbnid=jEUrZB3sBju99M%3A&vet=1&w=200&h=272&client=safari&bih=748&biw=1427&q=friedrich froebel&ved=0ahUKEwichKfJjsXRAhVh4IMKHV5FDqoQMwgvKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8
- Redirect Notice. (n.d.). Retrieved January 15, 2017, from https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.weteachwelearn.org%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2016%2F05%2FDiscussion.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.weteachwelearn.org%2Ftag%2Fdiscussion%2F&docid=ZszuehE3Eu-KbM&tbnid=9xmtB2aQOFEF3M%3A&vet=1&w=7107&h=3077&client=safari&bih=748&biw=1427&q=discussion&ved=0ahUKEwjA9PWHj8XRAhXL34MKHdGbD94QMwhkKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8