Problem Statement: Design, build, and test a go-kart using an 18v drill, 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood, wood glue, and miscellaneous which will be competing with others on three different courses: Drag strip (acceleration/top speed), road course (handling/control), and 'super mileage' (endurance/efficiency). The budget for the entire project is 25$ plus any other money we can scrape together. The timespan of the project is the 3rd and 4th marking periods.
Above is a picture what we based the chain link gear 'transmission' on. Our variant places the gear setup in the center of the rear axis for sake of compact-ness. Source: http://coolest-hacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/go-kart-powered-by-drill-motor-6.jpg
Above is the some of the inspiration for our frame design. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk5KfLwXGnk
Above is a sketch of our 'engine'. It consists of the 18v drill, a chain, 2 bike gears (not pictured, but are present). The 'engine' will be mounted to the back of the seat.
Above is a general, yet rough idea of our build. Our group took ideas from the available 'demo kart' in the classroom, as well as a few of the images we found on the internet.
Here we have yours truly working on the ShopBot computer terminal, setting up the base parts in Vcarve, which will later be cut out by the aforementioned ShopBot and assembled.
And here we have yours truly chiseling out the tabs of the freshly cut parts for assembly. Beautiful, isn't it? Not me, but the skill of actually hammering the chisel in order to 'free' the parts.
More tedious hammering a chisel to pop out more parts to our kart. Oh well, at least it's progress, and I can't argue with that.
The above picture is the assembled variant of the chassis, consisting of two base pieces and a 'filler' piece sandwiched along with the rear axis between the two aforementioned base pieces.
This is the completely assembled seat. Two supports and a back panel, held together by mortise and tenon joints which were hammered into place by yours truly and stabilized with wood glue.
Post-attaching the seat to the base. Turns out that using a drill upside-down is much harder than one would think.
We made a sort of indent into this piece of wood to hold the axel together. The actual rod to which the wheels will be attached to is going to be 'thread' into it before being nailed into the steering axis.
The front steering after nailing the aforementioned axis 'trough' into place.