A Message from Dr. Davina Hicks
Head of School
Sonshine Christian Academy
Dr. Davina Hicks, MBA, PhD
Dear Parents and Guardians,
We at Sonshine Christian Academy are very happy to serve you and your family through the extended academic resources made available during our After-School Homework Help and Tutoring Program (Title XX Accepted). Thank you for partnering with us to help make this first grading quarter a success! We appreciate your engagement that is evident in your childs first quarter grades (you may begin viewing these online). Now that Thanksgiving Break is swiftly approaching, there are a few things that need to be addressed to maintain our goal of Straight-A achievement through Activity-Assessment Alignment, Accountability, Timely Attendance, Good Attitudes, and Exposure to Accelerated Activities.
Sonshine Christian Academy is happy to announce two new additions to our faculty: Ms. Christina Turner, SCA Alumni, who is responsible for instructing our Performing Arts Class; and Ms. Diane Jackson, who will be instructing a new elective in our weekly K-8th Grade schedule called: Emerging Leadership Class. Both courses focus on empowerment through self-awareness, guidance on emotional intelligence, Christian ethics, critical thinking, and various expressions of art. In addition, these classes promote healthy perspective with an emphasis on building strong independent leadership skills.
Each child will have the responsibility of participating in all activities and completing all handouts for an earned letter grade at the end of each quarter. Please encourage your child to participate in these impactful weekly course offerings and help us officially welcome both Ms. Turner and Ms. Jackson to the Sonshine Christian Academy family.
Please Note the Following Dates and Information:
• The Lost and Found bin, located in the front office, will be emptied at the end of the day before Thanksgiving Break and all unclaimed items will be donated to the GoodWill of Columbus. PLEASE check this bin for any lost or missing items (there are several jackets, coats, lunch bags, sweaters, etc…)!
• Ms. Turner and the SCA Performing Arts will be featuring a Christmas Program: Winter Production on December 19th (program details are forthcoming), please encourage your children to participate!
• Parent/Teacher Conferences from 3-6PM on Monday, November 12th.
• Order Forms for Gym T-Shirts, Hoodies, and other school paraphernalia are now available (see enclosed).
• Boys and Girls Basketball Conditioning and Practice has started—please see Mr. Williamson for more information.
We solicit your prayers and support as we continue to advance the Kingdom of God through Education: one child at a time.
In the Service of the King,
Dr. Davina A.J. Hicks, Head of School