What Companies Can Do
- Support conflict-free gold sourcing opportunities and livelihood opportunities in mining communities with financial investment and public support. Learn more about the organizations that can help: [RAGS forum, Fair Congo, CBRMT, RMI]
- Improve and support public reporting on supply chain due diligence. Learn more with RMI's guide to ASM Gold Resources or with the OECD Due Diligence Guidance.
- Conduct continuous due diligence, not just annual reporting. Companies should consider due diligence a continuous, year-round endeavor that will become easier and cheaper with time. Focus should be on making steady improvement.
- Help shape the industry conversation by sharing the "Story of Gold" VR piece on your social networks http://bit.ly/discoverygold. Use the hashtag #journeyofgold
- Use the posts/information below to schedule content on your organization's or personal Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn accounts. If you do a live post, please make sure to tag the all primary and partner handles in this toolkit via the Twitter photo you choose from below.
- Use hashtag (#journeyofgold) & secondary hashtags (#knowyourgold) in your posts/tweets.
What Consumers Can Do
Send this VR video to the jewelry, electronics, and other companies you purchase from using the following social media language: .@[COMPANY] will you commit to sourcing conflict-free artisanal #congogold from mines like Nyamurhale? http://bit.ly/discoverygold #journeyofgold #knowyourgold
Ask the companies you purchase from to support livelihood projects in Congo’s gold mining communities:
- Join the conversation by sharing the "Story of Gold" VR piece on your social networks. Use the hashtag #journeyofgold
- Support conflict-free gold sourcing opportunities and livelihood opportunities in mining communities with financial investment and public support. Learn more HERE
- Send this VR video to the jewelry, electronics, and other companies you purchase from and ask them to commit to sourcing conflict-free artisanal gold.
EXAMPLE: .@[COMPANY] did you #knowyourgold can contribute to safe, responsible livelihoods for thousands of miners in Congo? Will you support them? #journeyofgold http://bit.ly/discoverygold
- Removing armed groups from #gold mines isn’t enough, Nyamurhale provides safety training's and protective gear to make sure both the gold and their skilled #miners are #safe #bettergold bit.ly/TtCBRMT
- #Nyamurhale is one of the first #gold mining cooperatives in the #DRC that produces and sells #legal #conflictfree artisanal gold through a #sustainable supply chain.
- From mine to market, @BetterSourcing transforms illegal gold into traced #gold, enabling downstream actors to view the #sustainable supply chain by integrating a smartphone app. #knowyourgold #makinggoldtraceable
- “It’s the miners who work the hardest, but they earn very little,” says Mine Coordinator, Lucie Kutinama Annunciate. Because of the funding from the Bwenge Buchiza #Nyamurhale Project, children now can go back to school with clean water running through their communities. #BetterGold
- Over 95% of all gold mined in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) is illegally mined and smuggled out. One community in eastern #DRC is working to change this. Join us in “The Journey of Gold”, a Virtual Reality experience. Experience how artisanal gold is produced, and meet the #miners and cooperative leaders who are working with #USAID to produce #legal, safe, and conflict-free #gold which is compliant with international standards and guidance. Watch the film here: http://bit.ly/discoverygold