weekly school News
** Each week be sure to scroll to the bottom of the weekly newsletter for all kinds of community and extracurricular activities/events (basketball, dance, cheerleading, cross country, etc...)
1. Hoops for Heart: MIS will be hosting the Hoops for Heart Event on January 31st in the gym with Mrs. Hacker from 2:15-3:30. All kids are welcome to attend! Mrs. Hacker does ask that if you do not collect donations that you bring one dollar (as a donation) to stay on the 31st. The students are working hard to collect money for the American Heart Association to help fight heart disease and stroke. Permission slips were sent home. You can register and make donations online at heart.org/americanheartchallenge. Come join us to have fun and get your own heart healthy.
2. January 30th e-Learning Day: PLEASE click here to go to the Powerschool Parent Portal and complete the questionnaire (top left of webpage). This information allows us to appropriately staff our building as well as for lunch prep.
3. ILEARN Information from the Indiana Department of Education:
How is Indiana considering building a system of assessments? Watch this 3-minute video to find out more about how Indiana assessments work together.
How is Indiana integrating technology with assessment? Watch this 3-minute video to find out more about Assessing with Technology.
4. Cougar Cuisine Information (click here) (Updated Flyer): Due to expected inclement weather, Cougar Cuisine will now take place on Saturday, February 2nd from 12:00 to 2:00pm during the home basketball game vs Greenwood.
5. No Cold Feet Shoe Drive: K-Kids is sponsoring the No Cold Feet Shoe Drive January 28th-February 1st. Students can donate old shoes to the boxes in their homeroom. The class with the most shoe donations will receive a sports water bottle. Please be sure that each donated pair is secured with a rubber band. Shoes will be donated to Changing Footprints, and unwearable shoes will be recycled into playground mulch!
6. Who has the winning Golden Ticket?
Because we are partnering with SchoolStore, each student has been given a packet with a Golden Ticket number. One student at Maxwell Intermediate School has a winning Golden Ticket!
Thank you to everyone who has already participated. However, as of this morning, our school has not yet had a winner. The winning ticket is still out there! To see if your family has it, grab the packet your child brought home, go to schoolstore.net, and sign up for the program.
If you have not participated, the winning ticket may be in your hands. Please help us raise needed funds with this simple and safe email program by participating today. Your family may have the Winning Golden Ticket.
7. AskRose Homework Help: Trained Rose-Hulman tutors provide free help to students in math and science. This support is available Sunday-Thursday, 7pm to 10pm (877-Ask-Rose).
8. ILEARN Information: The link below will allow you to see and interact with released test items. It will also allow your child to practice with some of the online test tools that will be available to them.
9. Library News: Did you know we have eBooks available for MIS students? We received them through the Greenfield-Central School Foundation and want to spread the word. Below is a tutorial you can watch on how to gain access. The eBooks can be read on iPads or Chromebooks. Students can download the books for offline access as well. Should you have questions regarding this, please contact Ms. Lucy Gellert, GC Director of Library Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Camp Invention: The 2019 camp will be July 15-19th at J.B. Stephens Elementary from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The cost per child is $230. The camp is for children entering grade K-6. If you have questions or need more information, please contact Ms. Amanda Bradford at email@example.com.
11. Breakfast & 2 Hour Delays: In the event of a 2 hour delay this year, breakfast will not be served on these days. This is due to the fact that upon student arrival our lunch staff will already be in the process of prepping lunch.
12. Safe School Alert: SafeSchools Alert is our district's tip reporting service. If you have information about a threat to our safety, do your part and report it. Please remember, you can remain anonymous. Should you have a need to report an issue, please click on the link below for details on how to do so.
13. #thankfulThursday: As mentioned earlier this year, we had a large group of staff members who met on several occasions over the summer to discuss our old "Behavior Card." The goal was to find a way to make this a more positive communication tool for our parents and students. This card was created as a scaled feedback tool to provide you with, not only the traditional information you have always received, but also a glimpse into the positive choices and leadership that your child is displaying throughout his/her day.
Knowing this, the office staff is requesting your help again. We would like to share with our staff regular, positive feedback from a variety of sources. Please take a few moments and use the link below to provide some encouragement to those folks that are making a major difference in your child's future. These comments can be anonymous, or you can provide your name. The office staff will use the provided comments every Thursday for our #thankfulThursday movement. The attached form can be completed, as little or often as you like, throughout the entire school year. We appreciate your continued support in growing the culture of gratitude that already exists at MIS!!
A couple of comments that have been shared:
"Mrs. Proper is very good at giving all of her attention to her students. She helps to boost our confidence about any obstacles that we think are challenges. I love how she always finds ways to make learning fun and encourages us to always do our best."
"Mrs.Chance is very helpful and gives her full attention to students. She always answers questions that she can answer. She has been very helpful through everything. Thank you Mrs.Chance for being helpful."
14. Gotcha Prize Winners: We would like to recognize the following students for exhibiting great character throughout the week. They were selected as our "Gotcha" prize winners this week:
Chloe K., Ella M., Isla D., Addisyn R., Erin D., and Hannah J.
15. School Dismissal Manager: Should you still need to sign up for School Dismissal Manager, please click the link below.
16. Volunteer Forms: Click on the link. Once you are on the page, click on the red apply button in the upper right hand corner to complete the process.
Keeping Up With the Latest Information at MIS
Click the button below for more details
- MIS PTO Email Contact: MaxwellPTO.firstname.lastname@example.org
- MIS Twitter Feeds (#proud2bMIS, #MISgotchas)
January 30th: Scheduled e-Learning Day
January 31st: K-Kids Meeting (7:30am)
January 31st: Hoops for Heart (2:15pm)
OPPORTUNITIES AROUND MIS, GC, AND THE LOCAL COMMUNITY