What is Twitter?
- Twitter is an online news and social networking service where users have the opportunity to read about current events , discover new ideas, tweet, and connect with individuals who have access to twitter.
History and Origin of Twitter
- Twitter was created in March 2006 and launched in July 2006
- Original name of the service was Twttr and then changed to Twitter
- When looking for a name for the service the creators came across twitter, the definition of twitter was 'a short burst of inconsequential information,' and 'chirps from birds'
Evolution of Twitter
- In 2012, more than 100 million users posted more than 340 million tweets per day along with 1.6 billion sear quieres per day
- In 2013, it was labeled as one of the 10 most viewed websites
- As of March 2016, Twitter had more than 310 million monthly active users
- On the 2016 presidential election Twitter proved to be the largest source of breaking news by having 40 million tweets sent in by 10 pm
Thesis: There is more to Twitter than Tweets and Re-tweets, Twitter is beneficial in the society that we live in today.
Twitters Social Benefits:
- Twitter keeps you connected
- Using Twitter to post about your daily life keeps your family members and friends in touch with you
- Clubs and other groups use Twitter to stay connected between face to face meetings
- Twitter can also bring people together because they live in the same community and use Twitter
- Twitter keeps you Informed
- Following the local reporters, politicians, businesses and private citizens who post information about the community allows followers to keep in touch with current events
- Community posts often include traffic reports, weather, local news, special events, restaurant reviews and other information useful to locals and visitors alike
- Twitter allows for Promotion and Outreach
- Individuals, businesses and organizations can use Twitter to promote themselves, drawing attention to events, raising awareness about their products and services and creating "buzz" around their brands
- Businesses have integrated Twitter and other social networking tools into their customer service and support systems
- Businesses can also reward those who spread a positive message about the company they can also reach out to unhappy customers to resolve and problems a customer may have had with the business
- Twitter is Research Friendly
- Twitter users have taken advantage of opinions and expertise that is accessible via Twiiter
- Simply searching Twitter posts turns up informal reviews for a product or service
- Twitter users will pose a question and quickly have recommendations, ideas and offers of assistance in response
- For example, people planning a vacation can get recommendations from the locals on where to eat and what to do
- In conclusion, Twitter is beneficial to our society. It plays a major role in the world we live in today. It is also very accessible because you can download the app and have it on your phone for use whenever you want. I love Twitter and reaching out to new people, but Twitter is more than that, it has turned into my number one source for news. I can get any type of news from twitter whether it be sports or what is going on in the world we live in. Twitter now even broadcasts live events. Twitter is evolving each and every day in multiple ways. Twitter addresses multiple problems it keeps you updated and informed, it allows you to connect with individuals, businesses and companies.
- Murthy, D. (2013). Twitter: Social communication in the twitter age. Cambridge: Polity.
- What Are the Benefits of Twitter? | Techwalla.com. (n.d.). Retrieved December 09, 2016, from https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-are-the-benefits-of-twitter
- @. (2016). 5 Misunderstood Great Benefits Of Twitter - The Buffer Blog. Retrieved December 09, 2016, from https://blog.bufferapp.com/5-misunderstood-great-benefits-of-twitter