Characters: Books with the best and the worst
- Why do you think some of these books are on a list for strong characters?
- Why do you think some of these books are on a list for weak characters?
- Do you disagree with any of these choices? WHY?
Why is CHARACTERIZATION important?
The characters keep the readers invested in your story. If the characters in your story do not seem real or interesting, the reader will not become invested in your story. They will lose interest. Good characterization allows your characters to feel alive, real, and most importantly, believable.
- You can give the reader explicit details about your character: "Jimmy's brown hair blew in the wind."
- In that sentence, we could see that Jimmy has brown hair, and it is long enough to blow in the wind.
- OR you could be more subtle about your character's details- "Jimmy's extra hair-tie cut off the circulation of his wrist as the other one attempted to keep his chocolate colored locks out of his face."
Discuss: Which of these two sentences seems the most interesting? Which one seems to tell you the most about Jimmy? Why?