weekly school News
** Each week be sure to scroll to the bottom of the weekly newsletter for all kinds of community and extracurricular activities/events (basketball, dance, cheerleading, cross country, etc...)
1. Last Day of School/Awards Day: Please note the time changes listed below to lunch times. We will be recognizing Honor Roll (All A, A-B) as well as perfect attendance. We would encourage you to monitor Powerschool to see if your child is eligible for one of these awards as you will not be contacted. Please know that we define perfect as just that, "without blemish." If a student has missed a day, part of a day or left early/arrived late, they are not eligible for this award.
Teachers will also be recognizing academic award winners in content areas. If your child will be receiving a classroom award, parents will be contacted by the classroom teacher
This will occur on May 30th:
- 4th Grade 8:15AM– 9:00AM
- 5th Grade 9:15 – 10:00AM
- 6th Grade 12:15 – 12:45PM
Lunch Times for Last Day: (Please note that these times are changed from normal times to accommodate awards and 6th Grade Celebration)
- 4th Grade: 11:05-11:35
- 5th Grade: 10:30-11:00
- 6th Grade: 11:40-12:10 (We purchase only enough pizza for the students on this date. If you plan to eat with a 6th grader on this date, please plan ahead by bringing your own lunch)
2. Yearbooks: There are a very limited number of yearbooks for sale if you did not originally order one. They are $16 for a soft cover and $20 for a hard cover book. Checks should be made out to Maxwell IS. They will be sold on a first come- first serve basis until gone. No additional books will be ordered. We will not hold books; therefore, students and/or parents must have money at the time of purchase.
3. PTO News: Our staff would like to thank the PTO for their generosity during Teacher Appreciation Week. The food and goodies were all greatly appreciated.
We would also like to thank and recognize the following individuals who have stepped up to keep our PTO viable for the 2019-20 school year:
President - Samantha Evans
Vice-President - Andi Masters
Secretary - Amber Kiser
Treasurer - Shannon Bernhardt
Co-Treasurer - Jeff Fuchs
Please know that by having a student attend MIS, you are automatically a member of our PTO. We invite all of you to get involved as much as you can throughout the course of the year. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Mrs. Hasty (email@example.com) or Mr. Whitaker (firstname.lastname@example.org).
4. Required Bus Evacuation Drill: This will occur after school on May 13th. Afternoon routes may be running a few minutes late due to this state mandated drill
5. 6th Grade Band: For the first time in MIS history, 6th grade students will have the opportunity to participate in band beginning in the 2019-20 school year. For more information please click below:
6. #thankfulThursday: As mentioned earlier this year, we had a large group of staff members who met on several occasions over the summer to discuss our old "Behavior Card." The goal was to find a way to make this a more positive communication tool for our parents and students. This card was created as a scaled feedback tool to provide you with, not only the traditional information you have always received, but also a glimpse into the positive choices and leadership that your child is displaying throughout his/her day.
As we enter the homestretch of the 2018-19 school year, we are asking for your help again. We would like to share with our staff regular, positive feedback from a variety of sources. Please take a few moments and use the link below to provide some encouragement to those folks that are making a major difference in your child's future. These comments can be anonymous, or you can provide your name. The office staff will use the provided comments every Thursday for our #thankfulThursday movement. The attached form can be completed, as little or often as you like, throughout the entire school year. We appreciate your continued support in growing the culture of gratitude that already exists at MIS!!
A few comments that have recently been shared:
"Mrs. Sturges is always so joyful. Her smile always helps when I'm not feeling well. I feel like she truly cares about helping people."
"Mrs. Sturges is such a ray of sunshine; always wearing a smile and extends herself to help in any way possible. Our students are fortunate to have her care!"
7. Camp Invention: There are still spots open in Camp Invention. You can register and find important information by clicking here. If you are interested in scholarship opportunities, please contact Mrs. Dawn Joslin (email@example.com) or Ms. Amanda Bradford (firstname.lastname@example.org)
8. Plug into Nature Summer Camp: If your child likes being outside exploring, this would be a great opportunity for him/her.
9. Schoolstore.net: We would like to thank all of you for utilizing schoolstore.net this year to help us raise funds. Through schoolstore.net, we have raised $7600 so far this year. This money goes directly back to our classrooms, intervention groups as well as is used to support our Gotcha prize program. Again, we appreciate your support in using this site to support our school.
10. Lost and Found: If your child has misplaced an item over the last few weeks, please have them check the lost and found table outside of the office. Any item remaining at the end of the school year will be donated to a local charity
11. 2019 ILEARN Schedule: The students are working very hard, and we appreciate all of their efforts. A few of the tests have taken longer than we anticipated; however, students have pushed through and given their best efforts.
Again this week, testing will begin as close to 8:00am as possible and will be taken in your child's homeroom classroom unless otherwise needed. Below is our updated schedule due to Thursday's 2 hour delay.
12. Gotcha Prize Winners: We would like to recognize the following students for exhibiting great character throughout the week. They were selected as our "Gotcha" prize winners this week:
Wyatt F., Kane B., Jaelyn G., Owen K., Jolan G., Kaiden H., Reign Beau L., and Tristen L.
13. Field Trips, Chaperones, Taking Students with you after trip: As we begin to near the spring field trip season, we want to remind you that you must have a background check completed and passed prior to going on a trip. If this is not done, you will not be permitted to go.
Once on this page, click the red apply button in the upper right hand corner and then complete the form.
By doing this, it will prevent us from being the bad guy by telling you that you can't go because the form was not filled out in a timely fashion. Thanks, in advance, for helping us out with this.
If you plan to take your child home from school after a field trip, please make arrangements through school dismissal manager in advance. It is too hectic on that day to best account for child safety. Please remember if a child leaves the building prior to the end of the day, this will impact their "perfect attendance" status should they have it.
14. Please find attached the most recent flyers regarding Greenfield-Central HS summer athletic camps:
15. Safe School Alert: SafeSchools Alert is our district's tip reporting service. If you have information about a threat to our safety, do your part and report it. Please remember, you can remain anonymous. Should you have a need to report an issue, please click on the link below for details on how to do so.
16. School Dismissal Manager: Should you still need to sign up for School Dismissal Manager, please click the link below.
Keeping Up With the Latest Information at MIS
Click the button below for more details
MIS PTO Email Contact: MaxwellPTO.email@example.com
- MIS Twitter Feeds (#proud2bMIS, #MISgotchas)
May 17th: 4th Grade Famous Hoosier Presentations
May 22nd: Incoming 4th Grade Parent Meeting (6:30pm - MIS Cafeteria)
May 23rd: Incoming 7th Grade Parent Meeting (7:00pm - GCJHS)
May 30th: End of Year Awards
- 4th Grade 8:15AM– 9:00AM
- 5th Grade 9:15 – 10:00AM
- 6th Grade 12:15 – 12:45PM
OPPORTUNITIES AROUND MIS, GC, AND THE LOCAL COMMUNITY