1. What does betrothal mean?
-Betrothal means a formal engagement or to be married.
2. Name three marriage and betrothal customs of Elizabethan England.
- One requiring couple to recite the catechism prior to marriage
- Banns must be published three times on sundays or holy days before a wedding
- It was required that a wedding be performed in the parish church of one or both persons being married
3. How is the intention to marry announced?
- Marriages were frequently arranged so that both families involved would benefit. Marriages would be arranged to bring prestige or wealth to the family. Many couples would meet for the very first time on their wedding day.
4. What is dowry
- Dowry is property or money brought by a bride to her husband on their marriage.
5. How important is a wedding ring to the Elizabethans?
- Many marriage rings have mottoes inscribed on the inside or outside of the band, usually in French or Latin. These are usually brief:
With everlasting Love
The wedding ring was a symbol of marriage
"Elizabethan Marriages and Weddings." Elizabethan Marriages and Weddings. Web. 02 Mar. 2017.
"The Marriage Ring." Life in Elizabethan England 76: The Marriage Ring. Web. 02 Mar. 2017.
Weatherly, Myra. Living in Elizabethan England. San Diego: Greenhaven, 2004. Print.