The UChicago men's and women's track and field teams opened the 2018 season with a two-team sweep of the field at the Phoenix Invitational held at Henry Crown Field House. In total, the Maroons captured 17 event titles.
Saturday, Jan. 20: UChicago at Illinois Wesleyan I-55 Triangular (Indoor), 11 a.m.
Phoenix Invite Women's Event Winners:
- 5,000-meter run – Lucy Kenig-Ziesler, 19:04.78
- 1 mile run – Khia Kurtenbach, 5:14.50
- 60-meter hurdles – Robin Peter, 9.34
- 60-meter dash – Alisha Harris, 8.14
- 800-meter run – Sophia Smith, 2:27.96
- High jump – Laura Darcey, 1.62m
- 200-meter dash – Nicole VacaGuzman, 26.70
- Pole vault – Angel Fluet, 3.53m
- Triple jump – Grace Penders, 10.77m
- 4x400 relay – Gabrielle Halaby, Mary Martin, Katie Jasminski, Olivia Cattau
10 WINS IN A ROW
The #20 Maroons pushed their win streak to 10 with two big UAA home wins over NYU and Brandeis last weekend.
- Friday, Jan. 19: UChicago at Carnegie Mellon, 6 p.m. ET
- Sunday, Jan. 21: UChicago at Case Western Reserve, 2 p.m. ET
DOWN GOES BRANDEIS
- Taylor Lake led the scoring attack with 16 points and three blocks.
- Ola Obi posted 14 points and 12 rebounds – her seventh double-double of the season.
- Miranda Burt tallied 14 points and four three-pointers.
- Mia Farrell added 10 points.
- Senior guard Elizabeth Nye contributed a well-rounded stat line of seven points, five steals and four assists off the bench.
NOT THIS TIME, NYU
- Sophomore Mia Farrell led the way offensively for UChicago with 19 points.
- Classmate Taylor Lake added 17 points, six boards and four assists in an all-around effort, draining a near-perfect 7-of-8 shots from the field.
- Junior post Olariche Obi chipped in a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds and rookie Marissa Igunbor added 12 points in a reserve role.
The #23 Maroons defeated #25 Wheaton 21-18 in a solid dual home meet Jan. 10 then followed that match with a seventh-place showing at the Elmhurst Invitational Jan. 13.
Saturday, Jan. 20: #14 North Central at #23 UChicago, 1 pm CT
- 133 – Louis Demarco (UC) def. Josiah Fitzjerrels (WC), 10-2 major decision
- 141 – Alec Gleason (UC) def. Cameron Calabrese (WC), 15-8 decision
- 149 – Chaise Hauck (UC) def. Yosep Lee (WC), 8-2 decision
- 157 – Steve Bonsall (UC) def. Jonavan Huggins (WC), 10-2 major decision
- 165 – Kahlan Lee-Lermer (UC) def. Hunter Harrison (WC), 10-2 major decision
- 197 – Jason Lynch (UC) def. Tim Blickle (WC), 5-3 decision
- UChicago dominated the 157-pound bracket by advancing two grapplers to the title match. First-year Jason Crary was the champion with a 3-0 record that included one pin. He defeated first-year teammate Will Britain in the final with a 6-1 decision. Britain finished 3-1 on the day, including an upset of the No. 2-seed in overtime.
- Junior Duncan Payne was third in the 197-pound bracket with a 4-1 mark. He tallied a pin and two major decisions, which included a 14-5 victory in the third-place match. First-year teammate Quinton Mincy placed sixth.
- First-year Will Hare ended up fifth at heavyweight. Hare posted a 4-2 record and won his fifth-place match by a 2-1 score.
- First-year Gage Bayless was sixth at 141 pounds. He went 2-3 on the day with a pair of first-period pins.
BACK ON TRACK
The Maroons snapped a four-game losing skid with two straight league wins last weekend, topping both NYU and Brandeis at the Ratner Athletics Center over the weekend.
Friday, Jan. 19: UChicago at Carnegie Mellon, 8pm ET
Sunday, Jan. 21: UChicago at Case Western Reserve, 12pm ET
STEPPING UP TO THE CHALLENGE
Jordan Baum dished out a career-high 12 assists, Sam Sustacek poured in a career-high 19 points and Jake Fenlon added 19 of his own in a big 77-67 win over Brandeis Sunday.
- Jordan Baum dished out a career-high 12 assists.
- Senior Jake Fenlon and sophomore Sam Sustacek both netted a team-best 19 points apiece – a career-high mark for Sustacek.
- Justin Jackson (14 points) and Noah Karras (13 points) also netted double-figure scoring for the Maroons.
A 19-point halftime lead was enough to hold off visiting NYU as UChicago men's basketball downed the Violets 80-70 behind 24 points from Jake Fenlon.
- Collin Barthel sank all 10 of his free throws on the evening en route to 19 points and 14 rebounds.
- Jake Fenlon poured in a game-high 24 points, while Ryan Jacobsen totaled 10 points and eight rebounds.
- Jordan Baum contributed 10 assists, nine rebounds and three points.
2018 KICKOFF MEET
The Maroon men's and women's swimming & diving teams kicked off the New Year with 3 out of 4 wins in Friday's double dual with Olivet Nazarene and Lewis, with the women sweeping both teams. In total, UChicago won 14 event titles.
SATURDAY, Jan. 20: Wisconsin-Milwaukee at UChicago (Senior Day), 1 p.m. CT
Men's Event Winners
- 400 Medley Relay (3:27.25) – Keda Song, Reona Yamaguchi, Michael Todd, Alexander Farrell
- 200 Free (1:41.11) – Taye Baldinazzo
- 100 Back (51.81) – Michael Todd
- 50 Free (21.55) – Alexander Farrell
- 1 Meter Diving (231.30) – Joseph Zhao
- 3 Meter Diving (232.50) – Joseph Zhao
- 400 Free Relay (3:09.40) – Stephen Park, Keenan Novis, Keda Song, Alexander Farrell
Women's Event Winners
- 400 Medley Relay (4:00.59) – Michelle Cho, Margaret Wolfson, Hadley Ackerman, Daria Wick
- 1000 Free (10:42.86) – Nadia Redza
- 200 Free (1:58.42) – Elizabeth Shen
- 1 Meter Diving (259.50) – Agnes Lo
- 100 Free (54.51) – Elizabeth Shen
- 3 Meter Diving (272.40) – Agnes Lo
- 400 Free Relay (3:38.85) – Margaret Wolfson, Daria Wick, Naomy Grand'Pierre, Yifan Mao