Some significant contributions she had was she helped from an all-female architecture firm, first African- American woman to establish and manage an architectural firm, she got named the first director in 1966, she teamed up and made history, and of the nearly 250,000 working architects in the us, nearly 10,000 of them are African- American.
Norma Merrick Sklarek was an architect. She was the first African- American woman in the country to be a licensed architect, who helped produce Terminal 1 at Los Angeles International Airport and the American Embassy in Tokyo. She died on Monday at her home in Pacific Palisades. She was 85.
Some of Norma Merrick Sklareks personal qualities is in 1981-American Institute of Architects fellow ( first black woman), received her architecture degree in 1950 from Columbia University school of Architecture, 2007-honored by the California State legislature, 1989-92 mall of America, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 20071 honored by National organization of minority Architects, 1985- First African -American woman to establish and manage architectural firm, 1990-Honored member of the Delta Sigma Sorority
- She was born April 15, 1926.
- She was born onset of the depression.1926
- She's the only child.1926
- She grew up to be licensed in the state of California.1962
- She married Rolf Sklarek, also an architect, in 1976, he died
- After his death, she married Dr. Cornelius Welch.1980
- She has two sons, David Merrick Fairweather and Gregory Merrick Ransom, from previous relationships.1966
- She was the first African-American woman to be licensed to be the first woman architect.1954
- She died of heart failure on February 6, 2012.
She had a famous quote- " In Architecture, I had absolutely no role model, but I'm happy yo be a role model for others to follow". This quote is very inspirational because it explains her life in a short sentence. It explains her life because she didn't have a role model in her life but she wants to be one for kids, parents, and everyone around the world.