Loading

Being a natural port city, Savannah’s primary industry at the turn of the 20th century included cotton and paper manufacture and transport. Union Camp was the primary producer of the paper and pulp in Savannah.

Savannah's port also received merchant marine ships like the Athinai and the Dirphys which sailed under the Greek flag.

Like in other cities, Ottoman Greek immigrants worked in the local industries, and many opened restaurants and convenience stores. Nicolas Stamatakis Sr., a first-generation immigrant from a village near Kuşadası, first opened a restaurant and returned to Greece to get married.

Upon his return to Savannah, Nick entered a different business sector. His children Emily Stamatakis Anast and Nick Stamatakis Jr. recall their father’s transition between businesses.

However, unlike other cities we have seen in the past weeks, Savannah did not have a large contingency of Ottoman Greek immigrants. Instead, they were one cohort amongst many from Greece and other European nations.

The Greek Orthodox Church of St. Paul was their primary socialization space. The parish moved from its initial location on the corner of Barnard and Duffy, to its current one at the Lawton Memorial Building on August 25th, 1941.

Ottoman Greek immigrants and their children partook in church events and dances organized at the church hall as recalled by Emily Stamatakis Anast and Nick Stamatakis Jr.