For the first few days, Allison and Isa brainstormed and tried different things while building the device. Kate and Luiza decorated the materials to match our holiday theme. Once we figured out what we were going to do and all the materials were ready, we all started putting it together, we all just kept throwing ideas out there to see how they worked and if it would change our device for the better. It all happened pretty fast throughout the building process, we all just threw out hands into the building to see what we could help with and what would work. We knew how we wanted to end our device, so we started with that and moved backwards until we had our device built from start to end. Then we went back and added things, or took away things for the better of our project. Overall, our group worked very well together and we were very proud of how our project turned out.
Device Description: Our device had a binder that we used as an inclined plane, which a wheel and axle (toy car) rolled down to start the machine. That made the potential energy from the binder and car into kinetic energy and mechanical energy when it started to move. The car hit a weight that fell off a table, creating more kinetic energy and mechanical energy. The weight pulled a pair of scissors closed which cut a string, the scissors worked as a lever when it cut the string. The string released another lever: a hammer that swung to hit a weight which made potential energy from the hammer being held up turn into mechanical energy. That caused the weight to slide down a tunnel or, an inclined plane. The weight then hit a foam inclined plane that moved (a wedge) that knocked a bouncy ball down a vertical tunnel to hit and ring a bell. That created sound energy.
Glows of the Project and Device: We worked really well together as a group and contributed everyone’s ideas which resulted well in the end. Once we figured out how to start it, the device worked wonderfully and it was really easy to finish and make adjustments to it.
Grows of the Project and Device: We couldn’t figure out how to make the hammer swing and hit the weight. It kept either falling or missing the weight. And then we couldn’t figure out how to release it. It worked out in the end but it took a while. Since we worked backwards, starting at the ending and working our way to the front, we couldn’t figure out a way to keep the device moving once we started it.