Before your session
It helps if baby is recently fed before your session, to allow for maximum shooting time and images. If baby needs to break for an additional snack then that is completely fine of course! But being fed before your session ensures that baby has a full tummy and we can start straight away.
It also helps to do your best to keep baby awake. Try giving a bath, let baby kick about for a little bit before you leave for your session. (If baby falls asleep in the car though, don't worry!)
Bring baby dressed in something light and easily removable. A sleepsuit with buttons down the front is best.
What does baby wear?
'Nothing' is the best outfit for a Newborn. No outfits fit a Newborn well and they often look swallowed in clothes! So don't worry about bringing any outfits.
I do have a selection of Newborn rompers in various colours that you can choose from if you wish, along with accessories including hats, headbands etc.
Siblings are always welcome to join in my Newborn sessions!
If siblings are still of napping age, make sure they nap before the shoot. Sessions can be up to 2 hours depending on baby, so please keep this in mind for young siblings. Young children don't have the best attention spans and sometimes 2 hours can be a little long for them in an unfamiliar place!
Clothing for siblings should be kept fairly neutral. I advise avoiding any bright/ deep colours if possible. Bright yellows, greens and oranges (and some reds and fuchsia pink) don't tend to look great on camera so suggestions include: Creams/ beige/ whites. Light blues/ pinks and pastels. Denims and navy blues also look great. Avoid Black if possible.
What to bring
For your session you will need:
- Baby changing bag with all your usual essentials! (nappies/ wipes/ muslin etc)
- Extra bottles and milk (if baby is bottle fed)
- A dummy/ pacifier. Even if you haven't used one yet or baby doesn't seem to take it, just for the 2 hours that I am posing baby it can really help (especially the naked poses at the end of the session). However if you really prefer that we don't use one, that is fine as well.
- I have a selection of headbands, bonnets, wraps, rompers, boxes and baskets so no need to bring anything from home, unless there is something special or important to your family that you would like included (just let me know ahead of time.)
- The studio can get quite warm and toasty so please dress in layers!
It is my hope that you come to my home studio feeling as comfortable as you do your own home. I am truly honoured to be able to document this incredible time in your lives and look forward to getting to know you and your sweet baby!