Making steady progress I continued to work on making the idle stance for the main character sprites. Being aware that all designs need to be proportionate. I began the process by drawing a construction box that I would then place the skeleton that I would draw inside of, once I had the first skeleton completed I then used this as the proportions to draw each step of the walking animation. I did this to try and ensure that I had a functional, realistic and consistently proportioned character. After providing myself a base to build up from and a concept image to work from, I constructed the character. First using an opaque single point pixel brush to literally build up form and depth to the character. The moment I had a shape I then made this layer more transparent and repeated this over the top but only more defined with a more solid outline. I did this work because I wanted the finished product/character to achieve a refined/polished look.
Feeling confident with what I had achieved thus far I then made the construction skeleton and box invisible as well as the first initial opaque character layer. I did this to make the image easier to look at, as I built in the final black solid outlines. When the outline was done I then began filling in the colours selecting and filling in the base colours only, then two-tone shadow on the clothing and cape followed by three tone shadow on the metallic pieces (this illustrates them being slightly more reflective because of the material). I also used one-tone that was significantly lighter than the base colour to represent light facing and hitting the character. This was done to assist giving the character a more three-dimensional form. I started with the idle pose because it was the first one that I had planned to do in my small sketch book. In the sketchbook, there were also drawings of what I initially thought would be the key animations to begin working on first.