Vietnamese Culture Values
- Vietnamese Dragons in myths were to peasants, a symbol for the fourfold deity-clouds, rain, thunder and lighting.
- Vietnamese traditional stilt houses yet simple, very much compliment Vietnam's natural setting
- Young Vietnamese have to show respect to people of higher age, status, and position, this is a strict part in the culture of Vietnam.
- A "good name" is better than any material possession in this world to the Vietnamese; a bad reputation is the worst and people with such are looked down upon.
During the Vietnam War
- Civil Rights Movement
- During the heat of the Vietnam War, the civil rights movement was in full effect.
- Political Cartoons
During/After the War
- Peace Movements
- Young people were the ones protesting, as they were the ones being drafted
- Popular among the
- In American society. It consisted of young, potentially disaffected people rethinking the direction of American society
- Opposition to the war turned to street protests in an effort to turn US political opinion
- Groups involved include students, military veterans, hippies, educators, academics, lawyers and ordinary Americans
- Peace movements and the civil rights movement swayed opinions of the war during its peak, and steadily declined till one year before the end
- 1960s-protests at college campuses
- Burned draft cards
- Early '70s-draft resistance reached its peak
- People could also avoid the draft if they had a disability or if they were needed at home (receive a deferment)
- Draft Dodgers-people who fled to Canada to avoid the war
1st Lottery Draft
- 366 capsules, each containing a date
- Pulled and opened each capsule one by one to determine the priority in which men would be called to serve
2nd Lottery Draft
- Used the alphabet to order the priority among men with the same birthday
- Used the first letter of your last name