Kirby Student Center Annual REport 2015-2016
Kirby Student Center serves the needs of the campus and community by providing involvement opportunities, services, programming and facilities that promote and strengthen the student learning experience, and that support the goals of the division and the University.
We will be the true center of campus: the place where students, staff, faculty and community will meet to learn from each other and share experiences in inclusive, innovative and inspiring ways.
Kirby Student Center serves as the hub for student engagement on campus. From Star Wars Club to Gamma Sigma Sigma to Kirby Leadership Institute, we provide every kind of support to our student organizations:
- Administrative: Kirby staff work with student organizations to manage finances, comply with UMD and other regulations, and promote events.
- Advisory: Beyond general advisement available to all student organizations, many of our professional staff members serve as advisors to large student groups like the UMD Statesman, Greek Life, Kirby Program Board, and more.
- Community: Every one of the students that walks through our doors deserves to have an ally and an advocate. Our staff regularly attends diversity and inclusion seminars, and we're engaged citizens off campus to broaden our understanding of the student experience beyond College Street and St. Marie. Back on campus, Kirby staff members are regularly tapped to participate in important campus conversations as a representative of the student voice--an honor and a responsibility we take very seriously.
Deliberately "feed the spirit to fuel the work" within the Kirby Student Center professional and student staff.
- Team development activities;
- Facilitate 3 training opportunities per year for each member of the staff;
- Encourage professional and personal development through interaction with supervisors; and
- Identify and integrate personal passions into daily work.
- Annual team development and renewal;
- Wider training opportunities;
- Flexibility for professional and personal development; and
- Integration of individual personal passions into work.