1. History- China stood a leading civilization outpacing all other countries. After WWII, Mao Zedong established an autocratic socialist system. Since the early 1990s, China has increased its global outreach and participation in international organizations. After Mao Zedong in 1978, Deng Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. Living standards have increased significantly.
2. China has a population of 1.357 billion people. Population rank is #1 globally.
3. Worlds 2nd leading economy. Since the late 1970s, China has moved from a closed, centrally planned system to a more market-oriented one that plays a major global role; in 2010, China became the world's largest exporter. GDP ranking is #1.
4. Unemployment rate is 4.2%. Ranked 39th.
5. China is the world leader in gross value of industrial output; mining and ore processing, iron, steel, aluminum, and other metals, coal; machine building; armaments; textiles and apparel; petroleum; cement; chemicals; fertilizers; consumer products
6. Communist state. Communism is a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs.
8. 23 provinces (sheng, singular and plural), 5 autonomous regions (zizhiqu, singular and plural), and 4 municipalities (shi, singular and plural)
9. 221 B.C was the orginal creation of China. The Republic of China began after 1912 with the Qing dynasty which put an end to 4,000 years of Imperial rule until 1949. Then became present day China.
10. Constituion- Several previous; latest promulgated December 4th 1982; amended several times, last in 2004.
11. Legal System- Civil law influenced by Soviet and continental European civil law systems; legislative retains power to interpret statutes.
12. Suffrage age is 18.
13. Chief of state is president XI Jinping. State council appointed by National Peoples Congress. 5 years for elections. March 2013. Chief justice is not involved. Chain of command, next person in line takes role.
14. Legislative branch is unicameral. 2,987 seats; members indirectly elected by municipal, regional, and provincial people's congresses, and the People's Liberation Army. Elections are held every 5 years. December 2012.
15. Judicial Branch- Supreme peoples court that consists of over 340 judges including a chief justice. 13 grand justices organized into a civil committee and tribunals for civil, economic, administrative, complaint and appeal, and communication and transportation cases. Chief justice is appointed by the People's National Congress with a term limit of 2 consecutive 5-year terms. Other justices and judges are appointed by Chief justice.