1. What type of text is it? What is its title? Website address?
Text type：A speech
Title: Donald Trump’s Victory Speech
2. Who are the primary and secondary target audience?(age, gender, ethnicity, interests etc.)
Primary target: All American citizens, the masses, groups and organizations of all strata of society.
Secondary target: Everyone in the rest of the world
3. What are the text’s primary purpose and secondary purposes?
Primary purpose: Called on all citizens of the United States to unite and move past the divisive election that occurred while working together to create a bright future.
Secondary purposes: Show the president’s joy from his success and thank all those that supported him, from his family to his colleagues.
4. What are contextual aspects of the text important?(year, location, political background, economic background, social factors etc.)
Year: 2016, Immediately after the American Election
Political background: The 2016 American Election was an extremely divisive event between party lines. New factors such as social media changed the way citizens interacted with the ongoing race and the meteoric rise of unexpected candidate Donald Trump shocked individuals on both sides of the party line. The loss of both Bernie Sanders for the Democrat Candidate and Hilary Clinton in the primaries left many on the left with a bad taste in their mouth, and even many on the right didn’t agree with Trump before or after being endorsed by the GOP.
Economic background: Due to a myriad of factors, the gap in wealth distribution between the rich and poor in America has been growing. Automation, outsourcing, and changing times have also removed many jobs from American soil leaving many unemployed. Both parties have ideas for how to fix these problems, but their methods are very different.
Social factors: Many social factors are also points of division among groups, such as tense race relations, incidents of police brutality, varying opinions over matters such as gun control, discussions of the dangers of illegal immigration, fears of terrorist attacks, and many other points of contention.
Overall: There were many points of division brought up by the 2016 election, with many groups feeling underrepresented or cheated by the results, and most people feeling a divide growing deeper than ever before among the American populace.
5. What important language/linguistic devices contribute to the text’s purpose?-register(colloquial, formal, semi-formal, slang), taboo language, emotive language, vague language, jargon, figurative diction, descriptive diction, direct comments, specific details and examples, humour, euphemisms, bias sensationalism, satire, irony,choice of lexis/diction, discourse markers,propaganda, rhetoric etc.
Important: Trump speaks in his signature style he used throughout the campaign trail. His speech uses very simple words and short emphatic sentences with unorthodox punctuation and pauses. His train of thought is far from clear and to the point, often moving between topics quickly with no real transition. Overall, his speech is very informal and off the cuff, a far cry from the average politician’s delivery. His mentioned goals are vague and appeal to emotions of national pride and hope rather than giving a concrete action plan for the future as president.
6. Is phonology important?(the sound of language, think onomatopoeia)
Important: Phonology is very important for speech, and speech needs to strengthen the appeal. Phonology can make the speeches catchy and attract the interest of the audience. The listener agrees with the speaker and resonates with the speaker's speech. For example Because Trump's speech is a speech that calls for solidarity in the American community. Phonology is an important element for speeches. Because it can play a persuasive role in persuading the masses.
7. Is syntax important? (sentence length, sentence construction, punctuation)
Important: Trump’s style employs unconventional syntax, much different than most politician’s use. His sentences are short and syncopated, his punctuation often feels arbitrary. His sentence construction is often warped for the sake of beginning or ending on emotive words. Whether or not his structure is “correct” it is indicative of his distinct style and easily digestible by the masses.
8. Is grammar important? (verb tenses, use of pronouns, the structure of the sentences)
Yes, grammar should not confuse the meaning of the content. It should be simple and clear, and should not interfere with the study of the content by creating additional work for the reader to try and understand.
9. What about pragmatics? (the underlying meaning, the author’s agenda)
Pragmatics is important in that the author should not have any bias or agenda. It should provide a balanced, objective, and critical overview as an introductory text of sociology without a favored argument or interpretation of the material or resource covered. Points and counterpoints should both be addressed, providing an opportunity for the reader to reach their own conclusions and perspectives by applying their own critical thinking.
10. Is typography important? Why?(a text’s layout, presentation, use of paragraphs, lists, ‘bullets’, font choices, underlining, italics, white space, color etc.)
Yes. For this speeches, a good typesetting can make it more fulfilling and empower listeners. Trump in this speech is very beautiful typesetting, the whole article is clear and easy to understand. Typography can help organize the content by making it easier to identify important ideas and summarize large amounts of content.
11. Visual images, charts, and graphics?
This depends on the situation, for this speech, Visual images, charts, and graphics are unimportant, because of the face of the audience, Visual images, charts and graphics they can not see. But for PowerPoint-assisted speeches, these things are important because it increases the appeal of the text.
12. Other striking features? Tone? Style? Theme? Etc.
For speeches striking features is important because a good speech is required to have a theme, have their own style, to highlight the appeal of speech. In order to play the role of speech, appeal to the audience to unite. The tone of Trump's speech is also very important. This gentle tone and approachable style can be Ring.