Top 10 Things to Do for the Holidays in Galena/Jo Daviess County
1. Stroll the garland-draped Main Streets of Jo Daviess County for holiday shopping.
2. Enjoy the colors of the season at the Festival of Trees at the DeSoto House Hotel. Fourth Annual Festival of Trees kicks off the holiday season with stunning one of a kind trees, wreaths, centerpieces and stockings to decorate your home or give as gifts. Admission includes a raffle ticket for our grand Galena prize package and additional tickets may be purchased at the event. Silent Auction or "Buy It Now" options will be available for all items this year.
Enjoy holiday music and refreshments as you browse through this winter wonderland. Proceeds from this event benefit the Galena Arts & Recreation Center.
3. Taste of Christmas Progressive Dinner: You will enjoy an evening of appetizers, salad, main entree, and dessert at various Best of Galena Innkeepers homes. Enjoy the festive Christmas decorations of each innkeeper as they have decorated their homes for the Holiday Season.
4. Holiday House Walks: Mistletoe Stroll Holiday House Tour (Saturday December 13 from 2-5pm, $10 per person) and the Galena Territory Holiday House Walk (Saturday, December 6 from 1-am-4pm, $12 per person)
5. Old Fashioned Christmas in Galena - Living Windows: Stroll down Main Street and watch the windows come to life with holiday cheer from 4-6pm.
6. Galena’s Night of the Luminaria: One of the most beautiful and romantic visions of the year. The streets, steps, and sidewalks of Galena will be lined with nearly 5,000 candle-lit luminaries.
7 Christmas Tree Hunting: Head out into the hills and search for the perfect tree for your holiday at Och’s Tree Farm (Galena), Bill’s Tree Farm (Scales Mound), and the Country Christmas Tree Farm (East Dubuque).
8. Winter Recreation: Whether you cozy up in the bar or brave the chilly temps for some winter fun you’ll find the perfect spot for either at Chestnut Mountain Resort and Fever River Outfitters at the Eagle Ridge Nordic Center.
9. Cozy up with a cocktail of locally distilled liquor, beer or a regional glass of wine. (Blaum Bros. Distilling Co., Galena Brewing Co., Galena Cellars Vineyard & Winery, Fergedaboutit Vineyard & Winery, Rocky Waters Vineyard, Massbach Ridge Winery & Tasting Room)
10. Indulge your sweet tooth or buy the perfect gift at Stam, Chocolat, Sweet Alice’s (Stockton), Galena’s Kandy Kitchen and the Galena ARC Cookie Walk.