Day One Recap
- OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. – The 2019 NAIA Women’s Golf Championship got underway on Tuesday at Lincoln Park Golf Course’s West Courts in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and the conditions were terrific. Under sunny skies, the host Oklahoma City University Stars took advantage of the warm weather and calm winds to post a red number as a team, with their top individual leading the charge as well.
- OCU shot a 1-under par team total of 287, and they hold a six shot lead after the opening round of play. Melissa Eldridge blistered the course to the tune of a 5-under par 67, the only sub-70 score of the day. She holds a 2 shot lead over Papatsara Niamrungrueang of William Carey University (Miss.) and Maria Zrodowska of William Woods University (Mo.).
- The biggest highlight of the first round came early in the day. Nicole Gargarella of the University of Victoria (B.C.) grabbed a 5-hybrid on the tee of the 144-yard par-3 12th hole – her third hole of the day – and ran her tee shot into the cup for an ace on her way to a round of 72.
- The second round will get underway on Wednesday morning at 7:30 a.m. when the first of Tuesday’s afternoon groups will tee off in the morning. The pairings will remain the same, with Tuesday’s morning groups playing in the afternoon, and vice versa. The teams will also switch which tee they start from, with teams who started from the first tee on Tuesday starting the second round on the back nine and vice versa. Following the second round, the field will be cut to the top-17 teams and top-40 individuals, including ties in both cases.
News and Notes
- The Stars played with unbelievable consistency throughout the day. OCU had only one double-bogey or worse on the day, and that came on the first hole of the tournament, and they carded 12 birdies and 64 pars between their five players in the opening 18 holes.
- Five Teams broke the 300-stroke barrier in the opening round. In addition to OCU, Dalton State College (Ga.) sits six strokes back at 293 (+5), the University of British Columbia shot a 294 (+6), Keiser University (Fla.) posted a 297 (+9), and William Carey University (Miss.) fired a 298 (+10).
- The wind picked up in the afternoon, which left the majority of the top teams on the leaderboard from the morning group. The University of Northwestern Ohio (T-8) is the highest team on the leaderboard who teed off in the afternoon group.
New and Notes
- Cumberlands and Keiser led the way with 13 total birdies in the round. Loyola (La.), Texas Wesleyan, and Oklahoma City each had a dozen in the round, and Oregon Tech and William Carey (Miss.) each birdied 10 times in the round.
- The University of Victoria (B.C.) had two of the five eagles in the round, including the ace from Gargarella. Cumberlands (Ky.), Bellevue University (Neb.), and College of Coastal Georgia each had one.
- UBC had 67 pars in the round, followed by Dalton State (65), and Oklahoma City (64).
- Eldridge is one of five players to be under par after 18 holes. Papatsara Niamrungrueang (William Carey) and Maria Zrodowska (William Woods) each shot a 2-under par total of 70, and Avril Li (UBC) and Isabel Rijos (Dalton State) each carded a 1-under par round of 71.
- Eldridge and Niamrungrueang each had five birdies in the round, and Eldridge played a bogey-free round.
- The Southern States Athletic Conference has three teams in the top six, with Dalton State (Ga.), William Carey (Miss.), and Loyola (La.) all shooting at or below 300 for the round.
- Hannah Sager of Faulkner University (Ala.) is the low individual qualifier. She posted a 2-over par 74, and she is tied for 23rd after 18 holes.
- Entering the second round, seven teams are within 10 strokes of the 17th position, which is where the team cut will be made after the 36th hole.
- After the first round, 54 players are within five strokes of the would-be cut line, which is a 33rd place tie at 75.
1. Oklahoma City University – 287
2. Dalton State College (Ga.) – 293
3. British Columbia (B.C.) – 294
4. Keiser University (Fla.) – 297
5. William Carey (Miss.) – 298
6. Loyola (La.) – 300
7. Texas Wesleyan – 301
T8. SCAD-Savannah (Ga.) – 302
T8. Northwestern Ohio – 302
T10. Oregon Tech – 304
T10. Cumberlands (Ky.) – 304
T10. Cumberland (Tenn.) – 304
13. USC-Beaufort (S.C.) – 309
T14. SCAD-Atlanta (Ga.) – 312
T14. Morningside (Iowa) – 312
16. Taylor (Ind.) – 313
T17. William Penn (Iowa) – 315
T17. Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) – 315
T19. Southeastern (Fla.) – 316
T19. Victoria (B.C.) – 316
T19. Indiana Tech – 316
T19. Coastal Georgia – 316
23. Rocky Mountain (Mont.) – 317
24. William Woods (Mo.) – 322
25. Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) – 325
T26. Bellevue (Neb.) – 327
T26. Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) – 327
28. Midway (Ky.) – 333
29. Oklahoma Wesleyan – 343
30. Vanguard (Calif.) – 352
Day two kicks-off Wednesday, May 15, at Lincoln Park Golf Course in Oklahoma City, Okla. University of Northwestern Ohio, SCAD Atlanta, and Oklahoma Wesleyan teeing off at 7:30 a.m.