THIS WEEK-Feb 20TH-24TH
#TGIFTECH didn't quite make last weeks Friday deadline...but better late than never!! This week I am highlighting PD opportunities in the area that are coming up, an great app for bringing fairytales to life, and more tips and tricks to get you started using your Office 365 accounts. Click the buttons throughout the post to go to additional resources.
UPCOMING INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
There is a host of great Tech PD in the region this winter/spring. If you are still looking to spend those PD funds this year, please consider these tech conferences which all have a far more instructional focus than pure tech focus.
In-house SAS PD-Office 365 TTT. Join Scott Williams and I on Wednesday, March 1st at 3:10pm in the ES Tinker Lab as we walk you through group functionality in 365 and personalizing your settings.
Coding/Programming/Making. This week is the last week of ASAs for Season 3. There are lots of coding and programming activities still running this week. Stop by the iHub, Tinker Lab, or various classrooms to see what kids are doing. They would be happy to show you all they know! See me for more details and for ideas for tech related ASAs for Season 3.
Click on the buttons below to go to the conference websites.
Rethinking Numeracy is a conference to encourage K-12 educators to rethink the notion of what being numerate means and how it can best be taught in the digital age. This will be a first run conference based off of the success of the Rethinking Literacy conference last year.
Rethinking Literacy is a conference to encourage K-12 educators to rethink the notion of what literacy is and how it can best be taught in the digital media age. This conference was a highlight of my personal learning last year; a conference where everything is targeted toward one curricular area. I wish all tech conferences were more like this weekend conference.
The Level 5 offers smaller weekend workshops covering a variety of topics. Upcoming topics include:
- Using Maker spaces to build a culture of design thinking - 17 & 18 March, 2017
- Designing the future of education - 8 & 9 Apr, 2017
APP/SITE OF THE WEEK
Puppet Pals-This is a great app for bringing student fairy tale writing to life. Students can use their writing as the script and create their own characters or use the ones already in the app to bring stories to life. This app is installed on your class iPads.
STAR IN YOUR OWN CARTOON in this creative, award-winning app! This app is as fun as your own creativity. Act out a story of Pirates on the high seas, fight as scary monsters, or play the part of a Wild West bandit on the loose. You can even combine any characters however you want! Your creations are only limited by your imagination! (credit: iTunes Store Description)
WHAT'S THE BUZZ?
The buzz is the Puxi ES. So many great things going on! If you have something awesome to share, please let me know so I can include it in the next edition of #tgiftech
- Half of the 4th grade has students using and collaborating in Office 365. Way to go 4NI, 4SF, and 4AGS. They tell me the kids are loving it!
- Grade 3 is using their Office 365 3rd Grade group as their main repository and communication channel for all team planning documents and links.
- Michael and TeriLynn are in the process of moving their Google Docs over to Office 365
Coding in the Curriculum
- Grade 4 is beginning to use coding and programming with Sphero to have students demonstrate their understanding of angles.
- John Ashenden has his Lego ASA kids doing some amazing work incorporating infrared sensors into their robotics challenges. Below is a video of a student using the infrared sensor to guide his robot through a maze (Thanks K-TK for the blocks!)
- Gina Monroe, Brian Chalmers, and Dennis Burns have been introducing kids to programming through a variety of iPad apps and Scratch programming in their ASAs.
Why Digital Portfolios? Here are a few good reasons-With student led conferences around the corner, this is a timely post from our friends at #ISB Bangkok.
Office 365 Tip of the Week!-Watch this short screencast for how to access your Office 365 settings. This video explains how you can your avatar picture, change your email signature and much more.
I'm not sure about you, but ever since Uber left China (or at least the US iTunes store), things just haven't been the same. Have no fear, this simple guide on how to use the Didi app will get you back on track with your on demand car service.
The future is now. Check out the Halolense from Microsoft. Imagine being able to create in 3D. Imagine it being easy enough for ES students. Now you can. The possibilities just got a whole lot bigger #gamechanger
HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND!
Follow along @jdungan & #tgiftech