Technology is all around us, and we cannot escape it. Think about this for a few moments, how often do you use technology on a given day? How would an average day be different for you if technology was not part of it?
Now take a look at your organization, how does technology impact the communication process? Would you be able to communicate the same way in your current organization without the various types of technology that you use? In so many organizations, technology is playing a more critical role than ever before. For example, look at Twitter and other types of social media. Today, if you have a complaint or compliment, you can simply Tweet to the company and receive a response in as little as a few minutes! Something like this was not possible just a few years ago. Since more and more people are using social media sites like Twitter, companies are adapting to how they communicate with their customers.
Reflection: Have you ever sent a Tweet to a company? If you have, what was the result and did you like this communication method?
How Technology Impacts Communication:
Technology-mediated communication or TMC for short, refers any type of communication that uses any type of technology.
You cannot deny the fact that technology has had great impacts on how we communicate with one another. Technology is constantly changing to better meet the needs of society. When you think about it, technology has come such a far way in a relatively short period of time. Look at all the technological advances that were made in just the past 10 years, it is truly astonishing!
- How has technology changed the way you communicate with other people?
- What type of technology has had the greatest impact on you and your way of life?
- What are some examples of technology-mediated communication from your personal and/or professional life that you can think of?
- Looking ahead a few years, how do you think technology will change how we communicate with other people?
Technology-Mediated Communication Benefits:
One of the biggest advantages to this form of communication allows people to communicate with other people within the organization in a fast and easy way, regardless of where they are located. For example, if there is a company based in New York City and has other operations in Malaysia, using programs like Skype to have meetings will be a necessity. The small-world phenomenon comes into play here. The small-world phenomenon allows people in many different locations to create and maintain relationships. If your organization allows it, telecommuting is also a significant benefit of this from of communication.
Technology-Mediated Communication Disadvantages:
With every advantage, there are some disadvantages. Let's explore some of the disadvantages of technology-mediated communication now. For starters, information overload can occur. Sine messages are easier to send, employees in an organization can become inundated with information that is not relevant to them or their position, which can create confusion. Not having access to the newest types of technologies in an organization is another disadvantage. Not having the latest tools in an organization might make associates less informed compared to those that have sufficient access to the tools.
- What are some other of the advantages and disadvantages to technology-mediated communication?
- Do you feel that the advantages of technology-mediated communication outweigh the disadvantages?
Advantages to Telephonic Communication:
One of the biggest advantages here is that telephonic communication is not bound by geographic distance. You can easily connect with other people all around the world. Since the person you are speaking to cannot see you, there is also an element of privacy here.
Disadvantages to Telephonic Communication:
Can be much less immediate and personal. Miscommunications are also much more likely to occur with telephonic communication.
- How is technology-mediated communication and telephone communication similar? How are they different?
- Why is telephonic communication less personal?
- Explain the role our voice plays in telephonic communication.
Mobile Media and Communication:
This is a great video that highlights some of the many significant impacts the mobile phone has had on the lives of so many people. Additionally, it gives a preview of how the mobile phone will impact our lives over the next few years.
Video Source: Monty Metzger. (2009, May 5). Mocom 2020 - The future of mobile media and communication [Video file] Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FScddkTMlTc
- How has the mobile phone impacted the communication process for you?
- If you had to take a guess, what are some other ways the mobile phone will evolve over the next few years?
Email Etiquette in the Work Place
Video Source: DoIT Training at Stony Brook University (2014, January 8). Email etiquette in the work place [Video file] Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIEJGQ9Udf4
In general, the primary goal of organizational development is improve the effectiveness of an organization.
Video Source: Misbahuddin Azzuhri (2014, March 6). Organisation development animation [Video file] Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdDg3udzK2E
- How effective do you feel your organization really is? What are some strategies that should be implemented to increase the effectiveness of the organization?