Clear over 15,000 rail shipments from Canada annually with a minimal staff of two resources. Also minimize all the additional peripheral activities that take place to support import customs operations.
Meet the challenge by automating the entry process. The solution was broken down into 5 steps.
Step 1 - Integrate with ERP Applications:
- GTKonnect developed integration programs to automatically load the shipment and invoice information from Alcoa’s ERP.
- The shipment and invoice data flow through an ERP database using ERP Apps, this feeds to GTK to auto-create the entry.
Step 2 - Update the Rail Manifest
- GTKonnect receives and processes rail manifest the from the railroad through the customs ACE link.
- Using the invoice number reference from the manifest as a reference, GTKonnect automatically locates the entry and updates the Bill of Lading details.
Step 3 - Processing Line Release
- As the train crosses the port, the shipment is released through a customs line release message.
- The line release update flows to GTKonnect from the customs ACE link; queuing the entry for transmission.
Step 4 - Automatic Entry Summary Transmission and Document Printing
- GTKonnect Imports automatically picks up all entry files in the transmission queue and transmits them customs.
- Users are alerted through an email on entry rejects. Since the system validates all entries through a detailed set of business rules, reject occurrences are very minimal (fewer than 1%).
- Accepted entries need no further user intervention for entry processing.
- GTK Imports automatically images and prints the CF7501, CF3461, Commercial Invoice and other required documentation for all entries that need documentation to be submitted to customs (‘Entry Docs Required’).
Step 5 – Post Entry Processing (Reconciliation)
- Alcoa flags entries for reconciliation.
- Based on a date range provided by the users, GTKonnect Imports creates a file extract of entries to a 3rd party service provider.
- The service provider creates the reconciliation entry and sends the recon entry information back to GTKonnect Imports for transmission.
“The only time we know we have a system is when documents print on our printers, GTKonnect really understood our requirements and created an automated solution to best fit our needs. Handling our entry volume with limited resources was key to our efficiency and GTKonnect helped us achieve it. We can get support and answers instantaneously whenever we need help and more importantly we can talk to knowledgeable resources any time we have questions. I will definitely recommend this professional group of people to anyone who needs an system”.
Amador Cardenas, Import Manager, Alcoa Primary Metals.